Need decking design verification

Old 07-25-19, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need decking design verification

Hello,

Planning to build a 20x24' ground level deck that is half on a concrete slab, but will extend over to grass/land.

**Please look over my sketchup model pictures below and point out any problems and recommendations.

For the frame, I am planning to use 2x6's that are elevated off the concrete with post bases by 1". The problem I feel I am running into is that from my concrete slab to the bottom of the door, there is 7.5"'s in some places and 6"'s of height in other places. I feel that I would need to use 2x4's so that I will not have a problem on height.

Q: If the 2x4's are on a concrete surfaced (raised so they wont rot), is that ok or is it not strong enough?

Q: Could I also use 2x4's out to the grass, or should I stick with 2x6's there?

For my Ledger board: x6 lag bolts to go in the ledger board that will be connected to the current concrete base wall of the house. Lag shield will be put in before each lag screw. Bolts are spaced 24 apart and aligned in the center of the board height wise.

Q: If the bolts are connected to a 2x6x8, are more than three required?

Q: Estimated number of screws for a 20x24 ground level deck?

Q: I read that I should put a spacer between the two 2x6s that will act as the ledger board. Should I drill the lag bolt into both of those (outside 2x6->spacer->2x6 ledger->concrete), or just the inside ledger and concrete?

David

Attached Images          
Sponsored Links