Two level deck

Old 07-26-19, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two level deck

I have looked through the code and cannot find a place where what I an considering is referenced.

Can one place a beam on top of joists that come in from the other direction, to create a two level system. Something like the image. There is decking on the left side lower level joists and on the upper level joists. I understand the correct load has to be managed in the footing for the connection.

Where can I look in the code to see if this is within reason.

Attached Images  

Last edited by nefarious54; 07-26-19 at 10:16 AM. Reason: I can't draw the picture, it keeps taking out all of the indents
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-19, 02:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
You would normally have only one beam on the lower side of the bottom deck tier, not two separate beams. That beam would be sized to carry the load of both the upper and lower deck levels.

Old 07-26-19, 04:18 PM
Then the lower deck joists hang from the side of the beam and the upper deck joists would rest on the top of the beam and to get a 12" separation I would use a very large beam?

Old 07-27-19, 03:50 AM
Group Moderator
I assumed you wanted a elevation change for a step which would be 4-7" in height. 12" is higher than code allows for a step.

The height of beam you need will be determined by the span between supports for the beam, and how long the joists are that you will be supporting. But, you can use a taller beam than required if you need the extra height.

Old 07-29-19, 09:54 AM
I was going to put up a railing, it is not intended to be a step.

The problem is that I want to make an attached deck but the place where the attachment could be made is lower then what is needed to work out the deck level needed to fit under the exit door. I have included a drawing that illustrates the problem.

The best scenario for the distance between the top of the proposed deck ledger and the top of deck is about 12.25 inches. Is there a way to overcome this issue or does it force me to build a free standing deck?

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-19, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
What you have labeled as "ledger" is called a sill plate. The ledger board is the vertical board on the edge of your deck that gets bolted to the house.

Normally the top surface of a deck is a couple inches below the sill plate because that's the bottom of doors. It is unusual to elevate a deck somewhere up in the stud wall area. I would be concerned about water and debris being trapped and rotting the stud wall.

I did find this drawing for something similar to what you are attempting which will allow you to raise the deck above what's normal.

Old 07-29-19, 12:01 PM
The situation is that the door to walk out on the deck is above the sill plate. The wall I want to support the deck with is on the side of the garage which is lower then the house. There is a 12.25" difference from the bottom of the door and the top of the concrete foundation. I assume there will have to be a small gap between the deck and the house wall to eliminate a place where debris can accumulate, and it has to be cleaned frequently.

There was a deck that I have taken down, it was attached to the garage wall, through the plywood that supports the siding. There are so many places it was out of code, I am starting over.