my stairs calculation was off

Old 08-06-19, 08:14 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
my stairs calculation was off

i bought a 5 stair stringer, but I'm 5" off. Rim joists are 2x8. Rise on these are 6 1/2. Abt 43" ground to top stair/landing.
do i have the bottoms step up 5" or get a 6 stair stringer and have it just above ground level?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-19, 08:57 AM
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
I don't see any way those are going to work, so yes, the minimal solution would be to see if you can return what you have and, assuming the store is reasonably nearby, maybe you want to pick up just one 6-step stringer and see how it lays out. I have never fully understood precut stringers though because the odds of one porch or deck being the exact elevation as the next one are pretty slim. So, if you have the time and desire, my first suggestion would be to pick the elevation you want for the landing, and calculate and cut your own stringers. It requires some basic math, might take you a few hours for your first layout, and then a few more hours because you'll want to take your time making sure your cuts are straight and so on. I've never even considered this before, but happened to think too, this being a DIY site and having the ability to post pictures, you might even grab a large box from somewhere and do a cardboard cutout for your first pass. Either way, I'd cut them myself. On the other hand, it looks like you have some slope away from the house so you can play with that a bit at the bottom of the steps, and might get the 6 step stringers to work out okay if you want to grab one of those and give it a shot.

maarkr voted this post useful.
Old 08-06-19, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 305 Votes on 279 Posts
I have always cut my own stringers because as AKA Pedro mentioned you almost never have the exact rise that's needed for pre-cut stringers to work. Most pre-cut stringers have a per step rise of 6 1/2". If building a stair I don't like to cheat and have the bottom step to ground be a different rise than all the other steps so pre-cut stringers almost never work out.

Your rise may be between 4 - 7". If your total height difference from ground to the top surface of your deck is 43" then you will have eight steps of 5 3/8" rise. Notice that that is eight rises. The rise from the ground to the first step counts as one as does going from your top step to the deck is another rise. So, in your photo I see that the deck boards are not yet in place. Don't forget that thickness when doing your stair math. Also, don't forget that the bottom of your stair stringer can't just sit on dirt so make sure to account for the height whatever you have at the bottom of your stairs.

maarkr voted this post useful.
Old 08-06-19, 09:53 AM
thanks... I have done stringers before, I have my own stringer clamp set. I tried 7" rise and it worked out very well, so now I just need to buy more 2x12s.
-deck boards are inset flush into the rim joists when i install them, so no rise to consider.
-planning on a patio that is basically flush with the surrounding ground, so I'll prob sink a thicker stone under the stair bottom.

Old 09-30-19, 01:03 PM
finished... thanks guys

Attached Images