Leaning Deck and Posts

Old 08-14-19, 08:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaning Deck and Posts

Hi there.
Looking for some advice on how to fix a leaning deck. I've searched but generally only see posts about deck that are learning forward from settling footing for example.

Mine is leaning to the side with the posts tilting sideways. I'm going to replace the posts with 6x6 posts since the existing 4x4s are rotting (encased in concrete). So I'd like to straighten out the deck before replacing the posts.

I've tried to wedge a 4x4 under the deck and concrete slab to try to push the deck over but that doesn't seem to do much.

Any thoughts how I can sqaure up the deck?

Going to try to attach a pic shortly.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-19, 08:17 PM
Picture

Well, for some reason this site keeps flipping the picture upside down... So I'm attaching the picture as a pdf.

Name:  deck.JPG
Views: 53
Size:  53.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-14-19 at 08:47 PM. Reason: imported picture from pdf
Old 08-14-19, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The picture was too big to be posted. Somehow you lost 2mb of your attachment quota with a lost picture. You must have tried to post it and deleted the post attachment. The picture is stored in your file with no attachment number.

Anyway...... It's hard to see in that picture what you are talking about.
4x4's in concrete is certainly an issue. How do you plan to rebuild the footings with the deck up ?

Old 08-15-19, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
Maybe post a pic from further back ??

Old 08-15-19, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. I will post a better picture later today. In the meantime, here is the same picture (compressed) with arrows indicating the direction of the lean. Each post is leaning to the left as viewed in the picture, causing the entire deck to lean to the left. So if you looked from a birds eye view, the deck would start to look like a parallelogram, rather than a square.

In regards to how I plan to replace the 4x4s. I'm going to build temporary support posts to prop up the deck from the concrete slab below. I have a bottle jack I plan to use to place the support posts. Then replace the middle post and footing first. Then move one to the side ones. Of course, the deck will be made inaccessible during this time.

Attached Images  
Old 08-15-19, 07:44 AM
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Note, your deck is leaning in the direction those stairs are pushing it. The stairs may need their own supports.

Once the new posts are in place they will still need angle bracing.

Bud

Old 08-15-19, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Bud. Good point with the steps. They are supported by two 4x4, about half way up, those are not rotted yet, but the footings may be settling.

I will definitely install sway bracing to the posts. I'd like to use 4x4s for that for a more aesthetic look than the 2x4s bolted to the front and back of the posts. Not sure how I'll do that yet, since I'm also correcting the beam to meet code. Going to a 2 ply 2x8 beam with notched 6x6 posts when I'm done. But that also means that any lag screws used for connecting 4x4s for sway bracing to the beam, would screw into the center of the 2 ply beam. I obviously can't do that.

But first I just need to figure out how to square up the deck before making the repairs. I wonder if I can connect a ratchet strap to the bottom at the back right, and bring it to the front left, then tighten the ratchet strap to bring the front left corner back towards the right... Similar to underside diagonal bracing that I can tighten.

Old 08-15-19, 11:23 AM
Here's some reading as deck requirements have changed a lot.
https://www.awc.org/pdf/codes-standa...Guide-1405.pdf

Bud

Old 08-16-19, 04:31 AM
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
It is impossible to square the deck corners with the deck boards attached to floor joist and the floor joists attached to the support beam. My guess is the deck was built out of square. Agree the top of the stairs should have their own vertical supports. Also support deck well when working on it as you don't want to loosen the ledger board. Good luck.

Old 08-16-19, 06:45 AM
Just an added thought or two.
The new posts should rest on footings as opposed to just the patio (I'm assuming). You might be able to make two changes, one move the support beam got reducing the overhang, and two installing new footings that extend below the frost line.

It would involve a new beam (double 2x12) but would allow you to build it to support the deck before you detach the existing support and attempt to move that deck. As Bob said it will be difficult to rack that deck with the deck boards in place but the new posts will be vertical.

May need more thinking but wanted to throw it out as an option.

Bud