Front Deck Repair- Matching Wood

Old 09-22-19, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front Deck Repair- Matching Wood

Deck YouTube Video

I知 trying to repair the front steps to my house. There are a few rotting boards and then some rotting on the railing. I知 just wondering how to match up these deck boards葉hey have a sort of grayish color. Also not sure what to do with the rotting on the railing, can that be patched or do I need to replace it. I知 attaching a quick video above to show what I知 talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-19, 08:26 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Odds are that you will find more rot when you remove the step boards.
If the stringers are good.
I would replace all of them otherwise you may end up replacing a couple this year then a couple next year etc, Gets to be a pain.
I know of no way to match weathered boards unless you can find other weathered boards.

As for the railing the top rail will have to be replaced.
Check it over carefully for rot in other places.
I am not a fan of top rails that butt into the post as water collects here and they rot which is what has happened.
But it probably matches the style of your house so you probably want to keep it.
Replacing the top rail only can be quite a job depending how it was originally constructed.

Old 09-22-19, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Replace all the bad wood and then clean up the old and stain it all with a solid deck stain. There will still be a 'texture' difference between the new and old but at least it will all be the same color.

Old 09-23-19, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
The gray color is typically wood allowed to weather without a sealer on it. You will not be able to match exactly but if you cover it with a solid body stain, like Mark suggested, then the sealer should end up creating a matching looking surface.