Deck on top of patio, minimizing deck height

Old 06-02-01, 10:01 AM
spcampbell
Visiting Guest
I have a concrete patio that extends 6 feet from the house and is 12 feet long. The patio is only 3 1/2" below the level of the door leading to the patio. I have two questions.

I am planning to simply attach joists directly to the patio and not use any beams or posts. Due to the 3.5" limit I plan to use 2x2's for joists and 2x6 or 5/4x6 decking. Are there any flaws in this plan?

I want the deck to be 10 feet by 12 feet. The level of the ground beyond the existing patio is only about 2" below the top of the patio. Therefore, I only have about 5.5" from the ground to the top of the deck. Again, this is too little room to build up posts, beams and joists from the ground. My plan is to pour more concrete and extend the patio by the necessary 4 feet so that I'll end up with a 10x12 patio on top of which I can build the deck as described in question 1. Are there any flaws in this plan?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-01, 02:54 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some houses simply aren't meant to have decks attached to them, and your's is one of them.

First problem; all the 2X2's laying directly on the concrete will draw moisture and rot. You'll be replacing them every 5 to 10 years.

Second problem; that 3-1/2" step out of the door is there to keep water from entering the house when it rains. Fill that 3-1/2" with decking and you will have rot and water problems at that door, and possibly all along the entire wall.

A better solution would be to extend the concrete patio as you plan and leave it at that. But maybe rather than just a boring slab of plain concrete, check into some of the decorative slabs that can be poured. You'll be time, money and frustration ahead in 10 years!