Should I be concerned about a large crack in my concrete patio?

Old 10-27-19, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I be concerned about a large crack in my concrete patio?

So a little over a year ago we tore out our existing wood deck and replaced it with a concrete patio in addition to resetting the patio roof posts according to code.

This was the first major project I had paid for as a home owner and probably should have had someone else do the final inspection with me but after a while I started seeing some potential workmanship issues I should have asked about. Below are a couple of pictures showing some examples. Anyway, what I am really concerned about is a huge crack that's shown up on the edge.

Is this something that should be popping up this soon? Also, what's the best way of fixing this?

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-19, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
Well, wood and concrete don't exactly get along. They expand differently. A concrete pad that is just poured on top of the ground also heaves (rises and falls) due to frost, while a load bearing post should be on a footing (not subject to frost). And if the post is on a footing, it's just not a great design to have the concrete go right up to the post without an expansion joint to allow movement.

So without knowing exactly how any of it was done, it's hard to say. Posts should be on a footing that is below frost. Concrete should be 1/2" away and independent from all wood for movement. (1/2" expansion joint and caulk) Concrete should not be poured up against siding. The wall should be flashed first such as with a copper sheet and 1/2" thick expansion joint that can be caulked. Siding should be kept 2" above concrete.

no idea what the last picture shows or why it's there. Is there something beneath those leaves?

ppilot voted this post useful.
Old 10-27-19, 04:01 PM
Received 121 Votes on 112 Posts
All concrete will crack, it's a reality and it has to be managed.

As XS noted the swelling of the post should have been isolated from the concrete but that is history. Putting some expansion material or a gap around the post and filling with self leveling urethane would have been best option!

I doubt its catastrophic but not much you can do at this time!

Old 10-27-19, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The last picture just shows what I think is some sloppy concrete work.

As for the crack, is there anything I can do about it? Can I seal it with something?

Old 10-27-19, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
You can caulk it or epoxy it, but I imagine that it's just going to reoccur.

Old 10-27-19, 09:05 PM
Received 36 Votes on 29 Posts
This was the first major project I had paid for
Yes, there are some mistakes, and the concrete work is sloppy.

None of this should prevent you from enjoying the patio for the next, eh, 20 years.

Some things might not have met code; local building codes and permits, and inspectors can vary wildly. The cracks can likely be addressed with sealant or epoxy.

Whether there's an appropriate below-the-frostline-footer supporting the posts is the most significant question, but the simple answer is that if it supports the roof, it's doing its job.

Old 10-28-19, 07:22 AM
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
You have to know how that post is supported!!!
You said that the posts were supported to code so hopefully that is true.

Mark the post and keep an eye on it.
If it moves up/down from the slab then you may have a problem with the integrity of your patio roof.
This is just a check as it could be the slab going up not the post sinking but is at least a warning to take a closer look.

Looks like the slab is also cracking on the other outside edge of the concrete.
So it may well be that it is just due to the post swelling.
If there is not a piece of rebar on the outside of the post then that piece will eventually fall out.
Sealing the crack will not really accomplish any thing unless you are in a part of the country where you get freezing temperatures. Then at least it will stop water getting in the crack and freezing and making it worse.