decking

Old 11-10-19, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
decking

Will it be ok to have one side of my new deck drilled onto the end back side of my house, and the other side (3 metres long), drilled onto my 2m high wooden fence, which seats atop of a half a metre high concrete retaining wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-19, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
You would have to ask your building department, but offhand I would say no, since your retaining wall is likely not on a footing below frost, which is generally a requirement. Also there are likely setback requirements if the fence line is near a property line.

Old 11-10-19, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
That would be making a fence a structural member of your house, which sounds like a bad idea. Ever thought of a free standing deck?

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 11-11-19, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will the retaining wall retain its structural rigidity

I am sorry guys, I have not explained myself properly.
I am talking about the wooden structure that will be underneath the ekodeck.
So on one side of this structure will have 2 screws drilled onto the side of my house, and the other side will have another 2 screws drilled onto the wooden fence.
My concern is that on the side that has the two screws drilled onto the wooden fence, cause this wooden fence seats on top of the retaining wall, when there’s inevitable soil movement, will this affect the house, the deck and the wooden fence ALL moving, as in essence they will ALL be joined?
So because they will ALL be joined, will this than effect the rigidity of the retaining wall?
Whilst its only screws on either side, I doubt it, but naturally best to be 100%.
Please refer to the attached photo.

Attached Images  
Old 11-11-19, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 244 Votes on 225 Posts
There is nothing I can add to what I've already said. Do you have a permit for this project? Do you know what a setback is, and what it is supposed to be?