no backdoor

Old 06-06-01, 12:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

We just purchased a 50 yr old home that is exactly what we were looking for - great big backyard with beautiful stone fire pit and massive oak tree! The only problem is that there is no backdoor from the house - the only way to the backyard is through the kitchen to the garage and out the back garage door. We want to build a "platform" deck around the fire pit and add landscaping. My question is how do we create this space with adding attention to the garage?? (ultimatly will will have to access the backyard through the garage) thanks - angela

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-01, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question

If you are going to put the deck around the fire pit, you will still only have access to it by way of the garage?
Is one of the exterior walls of the kitchen adjacent to the fire pit? Why not install a door, french doors or patio door in that exterior wall to be able to gain access to the deck directly from the kitchen?
I know I would not like having to carry food and items through the garage just to get to the fire pit.

Good luck.....

Old 06-06-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Reply

the layout of the house is a bit strange... it goes like this (from front to back, right to left) KITCHEN, small entry/exit to GARAGE, looking out of kitchen ddor way is the utility room, then from the garage to the backyard. We couldn't install a door, there's relly no place to put it - unless we wanted to walk through the utility room to the backyard and that wouldn't be so pleasing either. Ya kind of have this firepit in the middle backyard - no concrete slab or anything, just firepit and grass. To say the least it needs a lot of help! My question is - would it look terrible to have this beautiful floating deck, flowers, possible pond with no real (exotic) pathway leading to the house??

Old 06-07-01, 05:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds to me that it would look great. Logistically, it may be a hassle to use, but people put up freestanding gasebos and shaded sitting areas all the time. Personally, I'd try to put a door in whatever room is on the back of the house, but with or without the door I think that it won't look out of place at all. Sounds great!
Matt