Bench/gate ideas

Old 02-23-20, 06:12 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bench/gate ideas

I’d like to build something to block this area at the top of our deck steps to keep our small dog on the deck.

was wondering if I could make a moveable bench with a back to prevent people from sitting and falling down the stairs. I’d also like something moveable to open the area up completely as well.

any creative ideas? Maybe I should just buy a framed lattice panel and build a channel for it to slide back and forth through.

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-20, 06:45 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I built a dog gate for our deck, and as you mentioned I used some lattice with routed frame to hold and small piece of the composite on top which matches the handrail.

Two cleats at the top and two posts at the bottom hold in place, it just lifts in and out!

Old 02-23-20, 02:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
...make a moveable bench with a back to prevent people from sitting...
Well, I wouldn't make a bench if you don't want people to sit there.

One interesting solution I've seen was a box on wheels. The top was a planter for flowers and the lower part was shelves for storage/display. The whole thing was on casters so they could move it to block the stairway when needed but it also looked like a piece of patio furniture when it was pushed aside.

Old 02-24-20, 11:29 AM
Z
Sorry. Should have spelled it out better. I don’t mind people sitting there, but it would need a back to prevent people from possible falling down the stairs.

Old 04-10-20, 11:55 AM
Z
Can I see a pic? I think I’d rather have mine slide to the side to create the pass through.

Old 04-10-20, 01:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Can the "small" dogs fit thru the spindles ?
If yes..... will blocking that opening keep them from trying to pass thru elsewhere ?

Old 04-10-20, 01:49 PM
Z
She might be able to fit through but it’s elevated so I don’t think shed try. She hasNot shown any interest in going through them yet. We’d be up on the deck with her whenever she’s trapped inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: