Advice needed in repairing porch wall that contacts soil.

Old 02-29-20, 10:50 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice needed in repairing porch wall that contacts soil.

I suspect that this needs to be torn out and redone in general, but could someone please provide some suggestions on how I can temporarily get rid of the gaps where insects and rodents are coming in as well as cover the face of the exposed wood below the bottom layer of siding?
https://imgur.com/a/wj1Akh7

Old 03-01-20, 02:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I had trouble seeing just what gaps you are talking about but caulking can be used to seal most small cracks. If you cover any of that wood you need to make sure that the cover will keep it dry and not prevent it or slow it down from drying out if it gets wet.

Old 03-01-20, 04:21 AM
T
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
If you're trying to stop insects and rodents from getting into the crawl space area, I don't think it's worthwhile given your intention to replace or make other changes. Instead, I'd use bait and traps which should be effective in a small space.

To stop animals from getting from the crawl space into the house, you can use caulk or expandable foam, depending on the gap. You could also use steel wool or mesh products together with the foam. Caulk and/or foam together with traps and bait should be all you need.

Old 03-01-20, 10:35 AM
K
there is about a 6" gap underneath the bottom of the siding where the wooden wall paneling is exposed.

That wood is currently fairly weak due to dryrot and some portions are missing large chunks. The corner I have a photo of here is missing about 2-3", exposing the cement and brick support that the front of the porch rests on as well as providing passage for critters.

The gaps are a bit too large for caulking but that wouldn't do much to cover the exposed wood. How do you suggest I cover the areas where wood is entirely missing, such as in front of the support pillar?

Old 03-01-20, 03:08 PM
K
Here are some more photos which show the extent of the damage from ground level.

http://imgur.com/gallery/DLVYacM

I know what really needs to be done is to have the bottom layer of siding removed and then replace the rotten bottom board with composite as well as put some flashing under the bottom layer of siding.

This would however require I remove the bottom layer of shake which will in turn disturb the top two layers, likely requiring that I have to replace 1/3 or so of it. As it's 24" shake it's harder to come by and fairly expensive, so I'm hoping to just bandaid it for a year or two while I save up to redo the siding on the entire house.

Old 03-02-20, 03:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A temporary fix would be to cover those areas with pressure treated wood. Ideally you'd remove all the wood and replace with block or brick.

Old 03-02-20, 11:00 AM
K
Thanks, would I fasten the pressure treated board ontop ofthe decaying trim? Would I want to place a strip of z flashing ontop of the board?

My whole porch needs to be torn apart and reframed (see my other post), I'm just looking to limp it along while I save up enough to do that and my exterior siding.

Old 03-02-20, 11:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Z flashing should prevent rain from seeping behind the patch piece. IMO there is no good fix other than replacing the wood foundation with masonry ...... but sometimes you got to do whatever to get a few more miles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: