Putting Lipstick on a Pig

Old 03-27-20, 05:10 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Putting Lipstick on a Pig

We just redid our master bedroom, and looks pretty good with a big patio door, but it looks out on...drab. We would like to do something outside those nice doors, but are not sure what to do? It is on the south side of the house, so that Is good, but we are not sure what to put out there to utilize the area.

For starters, the area is incredibly flat, which is okay, but boring. Then there is the view, or...as it is...a lack thereof. So, it seems kind of silly to put a deck on such a flat grade. A patio could be installed, but what shape, and of what? We would like a summer kitchen at some point, but off the back of the bedroom is not really a place to put that.

I do have some resources, like a gravel pit, and plenty of slate. And this being Maine, plenty of rock walls to make more rock walls. I also have some equipment like a tractor, backhoe, dump trailer etc.

Here is what the area overlooks standing on the edge of the flat area. Any ideas on how to make boring interesting?

Old 03-27-20, 05:47 AM
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
All depends on how much money you want to throw at it.
But plain is not that bad. It's the way you look at it. Serene and calm is one way.
To keep it within reason as far as cost, you have several options. Plant a row of trees (pine, willow, popular or any fast growing tree) in the distance. If cost permit add a deck and maybe a gazebo. Install a pond if possible. Plant a garden of flowers in a pattern. Do a GOOGLE titles "How to landscape a large, flat, open area" and look at images. It will give you some ideas.

Old 03-27-20, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
Pour a concrete pad (with or without pavers) and build a fire pit.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 03-31-20, 01:50 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That is a pretty good idea

I got a cement mixer and the gravel, so just buying some bags of Portland Cement would be easy. I do have the lumber to build a deck, but it is kind of silly on such a low level.

I would have to anchor anything down though. It might not look windy, but I am on a pretty good hill here and the wind HOWLS. In the picture, at the top of the hill windmill companies wanted to put in a few wind towers, but the town refused to let them. But still, that is how windy it is here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: