Settled Deck: Looking for advice

Old 04-08-20, 07:06 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Settled Deck: Looking for advice

Looking for advice on how to raise my deck that has settled 2 inches.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-20, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 441 Votes on 403 Posts
What makes you think it has settled 2"? Some decks are built with slope intentionally.

Old 04-08-20, 08:29 PM
Y
I can take more pictures tomorrow. Its a large deck and if there is any slope on the rest of the deck at all, it is very minimal. This corner droops dramatically. All the other railing are level. I ran a line level and its about 2-1/4" from level.

Old 04-08-20, 08:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
Why did it drop? What's under the concrete and how far down does the concrete go? Does rainwater travel through this area?

Old 04-08-20, 09:08 PM
Y
Thanks in advance for all your help. I have owned the cabin for a little over a year. I dont believe it has sagged anymore since I've owned it. The home was built in 1995. I know at one time there was was a hot tub set up in this corner of the deck. The deck also accumulates a significant amount of snow. Other than melting snow from the deck, and normal rainfall there shouldn't be abnormal amounts of water passing through. I am not aware of how far down the pillar goes into the ground.

Old 04-08-20, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
Problem is you would be raising it up and off of the Simpson post bases.

I guess if I was doing it, I would suggest you pull the nails out of the Simpson PB44 with a cat's paw... then start to jack it with a bottle jack. Once you've got it up a ways, slip a treated 2x under it, then jack it some more. It would be best if you maybe cut a variety of thicknesses of shims out of a treated 4x4, so that you could slip them in and out quickly and easily.

Once its raised up and supported, I would probably want to bolt some steel (like maybe a 4" wide, 13" tall piece of steel) onto each side of the beam and shim, in order to catch the hole in the Simpson PB44 with one of your 1/2" bolts. So maybe 4 bolts total... One through the PB44 and shim... and 3 through the beam.

Old 04-08-20, 11:24 PM
Y
Thank you so much XSleeper I'm envisioning what you're saying. Do you think a simpson T strap would work in lieu of a piece of 4 inch wide steel?

Old 04-09-20, 07:27 AM
B
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
I would jack up the the deck at the outer most vertical support to desired level. I would then sandwich the support beam (resting on the vertical support) with two 2x6 ( one each side) pushed up against the deck joists and bolted through the support beam. The 2x6 should span all deck beams having a gap with the support beam. The 2x6 can be multiple lengths.

Old 04-09-20, 08:14 AM
Y
Thanks beelzebob ! Thats a great idea too. Would you use lag screws or carriage bolts to sandwich the support beam? I assume you would still use pressure treated shims like XSleeper suggested? Also, i wonder if I would try to run a bolt through the Simpson PB44?

Old 04-09-20, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
The problem is that the PB44 is your main connection preventing uplift. Once you jack it up, you're above the PB44. If somehow another connector would line up with the holes in the PB44, you could use another connector, overlap it onto the PB44 and then nail through the both of them at the same time. However that is very unlikely. And you aren't supposed to drill new holes in any connector.

So that's why I suggested just using some iron, drilling holes to line up with the single large hole in the PB44. And put a bolt through it. Then drill more holes all the way through your beam and bolt them. Pretty simple.

Old 04-09-20, 02:49 PM
B
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
Yes the 2x6 should be pressure treated. I prefer hex head bolts with a sturdy washer after the head and another before the nut. All hardware is galvanized. Drill the holes through the sandwich the same diameter as the hex head bolt so the sandwich is solid vertically. I would drill the holes centered between deck joists and at least 2 inches below the top of the support beam.