Post Hole Obstruction Issue

Old 04-26-20, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Hole Obstruction Issue

I am trying to dig post holes for a deck and ran into what seems to be maybe a wooden foundation beam from an old house that was previously where mine currently is. (there used to be a horse stable right in my back yard in the 1900s). These holes are marked 1 and 2 in the pictures.

I was curious what the best approach would be for remediation. I took a sawzaw down there and could probably cut through it but it would take 2-3 hours given how thick it its. Maybe a 6x6 but the wood is only partially in the hole.

What are my options here? I've attached quite a few reference photos so you can get idea where my beams are and where my joists are eventually going to go. Any help would be greatly. Appreciated.

Attached Images        
Old 04-26-20, 07:41 PM
I didn't specify this explicitly; however, i did call my local utility line marking number (811) and they said the entire area of the deck is clear.

Old 04-26-20, 07:50 PM
T
Received 63 Votes on 58 Posts
Why would it take 2-3 hours? 6X6 is not a limiting factor for a sawzall. How far down are they? I could see it might be awkward, but an aggressive blade should cut through "relatively" quick. You might have to make a relief cut in the middle to minimize binding. Is the wood punky at all?

Without knowing the condition of the beams, you might try a digging bar and just chip away at it. Using the sawzall to cut away the pieces you pry away from the beam. (This will prob take 2-3 hours)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...5037/100058261

CantileverChad voted this post useful.
Old 04-26-20, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Get a shovel, dig a bigger hole and cut it out of the way.

CantileverChad voted this post useful.
Old 04-26-20, 07:54 PM
Appreciate both replies. I will just dig a bigger hole and sawzaw it out of the way. Appreciate the feedback.

Old 04-26-20, 11:17 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
How deep is the material and how deep are you required to put your posts.

Your certainly not down to virgin soil at this point hopefully your frost line depth will be well below!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: