Where to place drain for patio

Old 04-27-20, 07:51 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where to place drain for patio

I'm looking to add a patio in my backyard. Looking to do a dry laid thermal blue stone. the question is where to put the drainage.

The property is on a slight hill. so what happens is the water flows towards the house. when i place a patio next to the house ideally i would want to have a drain somewhere to avoid flooding. question is where do i place this drain?

made a quick drawing (don't laugh) oh and it's not drawn to scale but you get the idea.
green box is the yard
red box is the house/structure
blue is the proposed patio area
orange line A and B are proposed drain areas

do i put a drain at area A? if i do that what happens is the area will have a valley where both the patio and the yard will drain into this area.

do i put the drain at area B? if i do this there will be no valley/ditch but then does that mean more water will rush towards the foundation? ideally i would like to do B since it will be the natural pitch of the yard but will it be too much water or should i be ok?

the pitch is not a lot but i want to do this right so i'm not introducing more water into the structure when i have less grass and more hardscape.

thoughts? suggestions?

bonus question - how deep should the base be for NYC area and how thick of blue stone should i get?

Thanks for reading!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-20, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Put the drain at location A. You do not water running right up to he house. Keep the water as far away as possible.

Old 04-27-20, 11:40 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so would that mean the patio would also pitch against the grade making almost a low spot in the middle of the yard?

Old 04-27-20, 02:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
The patio should slope AWAY from the house. Do not direct water toward the house.