exterior door hinge locations

Old 05-07-20, 02:39 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior door hinge locations

I couldn't find a forum where this topic should go, but please redirect me if needed.

I bought a nice, used exterior door from a Reuse center in great shape. It's heavy and wooden or wood composite. It currently is mortised for 3 4-inch hinges, and I need to change the swing of the door from one side to the other so need to reverse the hinges. It would be simple for me to chisel out the remaining 5/16" strip and then use some epoxy putty to recreate that 5/16" strip on the other side of the hinge mortise.

The hinge positions are currently 6.5" from top of door to top edge of top hinge, and 6.5" from bottom of door to bottom edge of bottom hinge. Is it okay to re-use these positions? I will be installing a new exterior jamb kit so don't need to worry about matching it up with prior hinge locations in the jamb. I ask this question because I was checking up on hinge position and saw a couple things saying the bottom hinge should be 10" from bottom of door. I wondered if this distance is for a specific reason, and if I'll regret it if I just re-use the 6.5" inch height for the hinge mortise that already exists.

Old 05-07-20, 02:42 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I would assume it has three hinges. If not I would be concerned.

Old 05-07-20, 02:48 PM
N
Yes, definitely. I said it is mortised for three 4-inch hinges. The position of the 3rd is just centered between the other two.

Old 05-07-20, 03:05 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
I think you'll be OK.________________________________

Old 05-07-20, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Since you will be mortising your new jamb, leave the hinges where they are. And you should glue and clamp a strip of wood on there to repair your door mortise. That would be much better than dinking around with epoxy.

If your screw holes are too close to the old ones, drill them out and plug them with dowels and wood glue then cut them off flush.

Before you get to marking and mortising your hinge locations you might want to fit the door to the opening first. Occasionally you will run into something weird like an old door that has been cut to fit a crooked opening.

So, remove the old door. Remove hinges from both the new and old door. Fit the door into the opening and use tapered cedar shims to center it. You should have about 1/8" on each side and on top. Don't know what your threshold or weatherstripping is like on the bottom but that can be adjusted later if it needs to be beveled or cut off. Once you like how it fits you can then simply make a mark across from each door hinge and onto the jamb.

Old 05-07-20, 04:07 PM
N
Lots of great tips here, XSleeper! Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

Old 05-08-20, 07:23 AM
Received 90 Votes on 77 Posts
Occasionally you will run into something weird like an old door that has been cut to fit a crooked opening.
You should also check the latch side of the door to see if it has been beveled for clearance when closing. You may have to plane it square or bevel it to the other side to keep it from hitting the jamb when swinging.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 05-08-20, 08:25 AM
N
Thanks, 2john02458! Another great tip! I would not have thought to look at that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: