What kind of wood is this?

Old 05-10-20, 07:44 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of wood is this?

Can someone tell me what kind of wood my deck board is? Is it PT Pine? Need to replace a few pieces due to wood rot before staining. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 05-10-20, 10:39 PM
Received 425 Votes on 396 Posts
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Looks like cedar!

Old 05-11-20, 03:48 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
Remove one of the rotten boards and cut across it.
The look and smell should help identify the wood type.

Old 05-11-20, 05:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
IMO it's too difficult to say just from that pic. I agree if you remove one of the bad boards it will be easier to identify what type. The odds are the replaced boards will show after staining because the new wood won't be weathered like the old. What type of stain do you intend to use?

Old 05-11-20, 02:52 PM
K
This is a small 10x12 balcony about 17 years old. I have never stained a deck before. The deck was resurfaced right before I bought the place about 6 years ago. I want to use a semi transparent satin called Ready Seal in Dark Walnut or Mission Brown. From what I read, this product is pretty easy to apply for newbie like me. I have not decided on how to prep the surface. I'm leaning towards some kind of wood cleaner/brightener that is plant friendly. This is a second floor balcony. There are shrubs around the edge below it. Does anyone have any recommendation? I could also use a pressure washer. I do have a 1850 PSI pressure washer. I also have access to a 3200 PSI pressure washer if needed. I like the idea of removing a bad board and cut it open.

Old 05-11-20, 08:05 PM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
I cannot comment on the stain.
But I would not use a pressure washer on a wood deck.
It is too easy to screw it up and you would end up having to sand the deck.

Old 05-12-20, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I use a pressure washer all the time when cleaning a deck but you do need to exercise care so you don't chew up the wood. I generally, wet the deck, apply the cleaning solution, let it set and then rinse. You want the cleaning agent to do most of the work. Stubborn areas might require a 2nd treatment and/or scrubbing with an old broom. A garden hose can be used in place of the pressure washer.

I'm not overly familiar with that brand of stain but they all pretty much apply the same. You want to keep a wet edge so that likely means you need to just stain several boards completely at a time - don't stop in the middle of a board.

Old 05-12-20, 10:32 AM
K
Any recommendation on stain? I'm pretty sure I want to use semi transparent stain. I want medium dark color like Walnut. I was thinking about Ready Stain because it gets good review from Amazon and HD for easy application but doesn't look like it lasts. The deck is not big. The railing is metal so it makes the job easier.

Old 05-12-20, 12:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Sikkens and SuperDeck have a good reputation. I've had good results with Cabot and DeckScapes. Some coatings do better in one climate over another so it's always best to get local input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: