Ledger board flashing with roof detail membrane and Vinyl roll

Old 05-15-20, 07:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ledger board flashing with roof detail membrane and Vinyl roll

Hi there,

I am building a 20 (along the house) x 12 (away from the house) deck in my back yard, and am wondering if following ledger board flashing is ok:
  1. Remove siding and build wrap for the ledger board.
  2. Apply Grace roof detail membrane to the house sheathing so any fastener penetrating hole would be sealed.
  3. Nail flat Vinyl Flashing, https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraFlas...018W/100386657, on top of the membrane. This serves as a back flashing, protects the membrane, and works like exterior vinyl siding for the uncovered under ledger seam.
  4. Attach ledger board to the house.
  5. Put the plastic Z flashing, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...7028/202928692, on top of the ledger board.
  6. The ledger boards are 2 pieces of 2 in. x 8 in. x 10 ft each side by side.

Anything I miss here? Thanks.

Old 05-15-20, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Is there siding below the ledger or not? If there is, you put a z flashing on bottom, 1/4" space, then the ledger... then another z-flashing on top. The rest sounds over and above what's normally done. So You would just lap everything shingle style from the bottom up so as to shed water.

Old 05-15-20, 06:32 PM
C
Thanks for your input. Will do that.
BTW, I removed two stripes of HardiePlank siding to install the flashing, and now I am putting it back.
  1. Per code or rule of thumb, what is the gap between the bottom of the above siding and the top of deck board? Some web article says 1/4 inches, some says at least 1" to prevent water splash back. Which one is correct?
  2. The gap between right side of ledger and wall end is about 3/4". I can cut and nail a 3/4" piece there to cover it, or can I just caulk it with DAP 230 DYNAFLEX, which says seals joints up to 2"?
  3. What professionals would do in this scenario?
TIA.

Old 05-15-20, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
James Hardie recommends 1/4" to any horizontal flashing but 2" over a horizontal surface... i.e. a roof, sidewalk or deck. The idea is to get it up out of some of the splashing and you need to get a paint brush in there to paint it or it will start to erode. Cut edges require primer and paint.

As for your gap... will you be adding any trim onto the deck perimeter? Composite fascia, for instance is about 1/2" thick. Then you'd only have 1/4" to caulk. Or some people frame decks with pressure treated wood then go back and put a nice cedar fascia on the front. But yeah, you wouldn't put a 3/4" piece in there... it would explode when you nailed it.

Old 05-17-20, 09:14 AM
C
Thanks, again, XSleeper for your inputs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: