1st time patio paver install

Old 05-18-20, 07:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st time patio paver install

I am in the final stages of building my first paver patio and have a question about water drainage. Currently the patio is dug out approve 7-8 inches with paver base of approx 3 inches (the remaining inch I plan to put down will be here this week) So I have noticed I have good drainage away from the house in the direction I want, but I want to put a seat wall exactly where the water is going. My concern is it I put a seat wall in the lowest elevation of the patio it will just act as a bowl and collect the water. How do I get around this? Do I leave a gap after the patio pavers/before the wall with a drain? Do I have the first row of bricks on the wall gapped to allow the water to drain?

Please help....thanks

I've attached a recent picture after a hard night of raining.

Attached Images  

Last edited by claydiy; 05-18-20 at 08:10 AM. Reason: picture did not go through
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-20, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
You would probably just put in some perforated corregated drain pipe that will drain that area... Excavate and backfill as part of your rock base. Extend the pipe to daylight so it runs downhill and drains.

Old 05-18-20, 08:15 AM
C
So I've never dug for any type of drainage before, so if you look at the picture do I just align the pipe along the bottom side, then T out into the yard? Or would I just have a straight piece at the bottom of the circle going straight out? Also, I was playing on using that poly sand on the pavers so how is the water going to get through the cracks to the ground? Do I leave a gap between the wall and pavers with no sand? thanks

Attached Images  
Old 05-18-20, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
I cant tell you where to drain it, im not there and don't know the lay of the land. I also can't envision your entire plan that's in your head. If you think you will have a sizable volume of water that needs to drain, install a gutter drain with a cover grille... Like what you would use on a driveway.

Old 05-18-20, 08:41 AM
C
I see pictures of patios with seat walls at the far end which I assume is the lowest elevation so I assumed there was some standard way of making sure the seat wall didn't capture all the water. My first thought was to build the patio first, then the seat wall on top of the patio with gaps in the first row of the bricks so the water could pass to the other side. The idea of a gutter drain might work, but since my seat wall will be curved do they make curved drain covers? Sorry, I've not done any work when it comes to drainage..thanks for the help

Old 05-18-20, 10:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 687 Votes on 634 Posts
Don't forget that your patio doesn't have to be one flat surface only sloping in one axis. I slope the patio to direct water away from traps like large planters, outdoor kitchens and seats like your considering. You can have a slight ridge running down the patio with the slope dropping off on either side to direct water around your seat. You still put in the slope to direct water away from the house but there is a extra bit of contouring to make the water splits and goes around your seat.

Old 05-22-20, 08:17 PM
D
Similar thing

Im in about the same position is you, regarding the water pooling in the far end. Im going to try a row of stones the entire length of the low side (6-8" deep) to see if that helps first. Then because of other backyard issues i cant really use a drain pipes so im considering a dry well in that general location. Im also not installing a seat like you. However if I were, I would probably do as you said. Build the seat on top of the patio and leave gaps to drain the water. Then figure out what to do with the water from there. Anyhow, good luck.

Old 05-23-20, 12:32 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
Something doesn't look right, why is there a pool of water standing there?

It looks like your base is lower than the surrounding grass and you do not want to install pavers in a low spot, looks like everything needs to be raised.

You are using a plate compactor on that base, right!