refinishing deck questions

Old 05-26-20, 02:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
refinishing deck questions

I haven't refinished my deck for about 6 years. There is alot of mildew and dirt. Last time I used a Flood SWF solid stain. The one thing I really hated about the Flood stain is that it was close to impossible to clean. I had to go out and scrub with a mop if someone walked on it with muddy shoes. All the other stains allowed me to just spray off the same type of stain. So, here are my questions:

1 - Will a power washer get the mildew, dirt and stain off? If so, what psi is necessary? Do I need to use a chemical product or will the power washer be enough?
2 - Recommendations for a solid color stain that will last long and clean easily 0- without the need for a mop.
3 - oil or water based?
4 - recommended procedure for cleaning and staining.
5 - recommendation for a power washer and what to look for - is it possible to get an adjustable psi so that the same machine can be used for a deck and a driveway?

so, that was a lot to put in one post but I thought I'd give it a try. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by janebench; 05-26-20 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-20, 04:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
#1 - maybe but too much pressure can damage the wood. I always use a bleach solution when cleaning mildew.

#2 - SuperDeck and Sikkens have great reputations. Normally you'll find better stains at your local paint store than you will at a big box paint dept.

#3 - It depends on your climate. Oil seals the wood better and dries to a harder film but the sun is harder on it than the latex or waterborne stains.

#4 - I wet the deck, spray on my cleaning solution with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer [garden hose will also work] Stubborn areas may need a 2nd treatment and/or scrubbing with an old broom.

#5 - As far as I know all pressure washers have adjustable pressure. IMO a smaller commercial type PWer is best. It's easy to get into trouble with too much pressure! I have a small one from Northern Tool that has a Honda engine and a Comet pump. I've used mine to clean siding, decks and concrete. Whatever unit you look at - read the reviews.

Old 05-27-20, 08:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for info. All I can find for rental is a 2500 psi. Too much for wood deck?

Old 05-27-20, 09:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
At full bore it would be but you can turn it down and use the widest tip.

Old 05-27-20, 03:25 PM
C
Received 110 Votes on 85 Posts
I have a cheapo electric pressure washer (2030 max psi) that I bought just for cleaning my deck and siding. It also does a good job washing my car. I've never used it with the higher pressure nozzles. It might be a good investment.