Need Advice: Swing Hanging from Single 2x6

Old 06-02-20, 02:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Advice: Swing Hanging from Single 2x6

I am a novice DIYer and need some advice. I am trying to hang a 4ft porch swing parallel to 2x6 ceiling joists. So, can I safely secure the swing to a single 2x6 joist? I am also concerned that the rocking/swing motion perpendicular to the joist is unstable. But, I honestly don't know much about this stuff.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-20, 03:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
You can sister another 2x6 or even a 2x8 (if you cut the top corner off where it tucks under the roof) where you intend to mount the swing and you can install blocking between the joists on both sides to resist the side loads of swinging.

Old 06-02-20, 04:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To resist the twisting and side loads of swinging, instead of blocking, could I use some kind of strongback (secure a 2x6 across the top of the joists perpendicularly - seems quicker and easier)?

And, the 2x6 joist only spans 6 ft and the swing is 4ft . . . do you really think a sister is needed? Thanks.

Old 06-02-20, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 491 Votes on 450 Posts
Blocking is better because it's actually between the joists. You can lay a board across the top, but then its relying on the fasteners not ever getting loose or weak. But if you screw it down good and catch the joists on either side that should work fine.

If you are just going into one joist you better be darn sure you hit the center of the joist with your eyelet screw or bolt.

Old 06-03-20, 06:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I also prefer blocking as it supports the joist top to bottom. If you just attach a board across the top you are holding the top of the joists but the bottom where the swing is attached is still free to be twisted back and forth. At first the nails holding your porch ceiling up will hold the joist but those nail may loosen over time and allow the joist to twist back and forth.

I personally don't like drilling through a structural member that I would be putting even more load on. Say you plan on using an eye lag bolt up into the bottom of the stud. 1/2" is probably the most common size you'll want. Since your framing is only 1 1/2" wide you will be drilling away 1/3 the thickness of your joist... and you've got to get it in the center. Sistering will return strength to the beam removed by drilling for your swing's anchors and provide an extra margin of safety.