Patio Cover Sways

Old 06-03-20, 02:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Patio Cover Sways

Hello,

New to the forum here, looks like there is a lot of good information and advice.

i am currently building a patio cover and am 90% done with it but am noticing that itís sways a lot. the roof is 14í X32í. I am using the skylight hardware to mount the patio to the top of our house and we currently have a 4x12 pitch. I used 4x6 post with a 4x8 beam and 2x6 rafters on 16Ē centers. I still have to mount my hurricane straps on each rafter but I donít think that will take away the swaying from back and fourth. There is very little side to side sway. Once I lag bolt the diagonal 4x4s from beam to post the side to side will likely go away.

Is there a sturdier way to mount post to concrete? I feel thatís where a lot of the movement is coming from.

picture below

any help would be greatly appreciated

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/f242bad7-6f08-469a-b702-3ee5e349d496[/img]

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/bd9cfdbb-5d0d-44ac-aa08-1b190d1acfe8[/img]

[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/bd1f32a6-e3ef-46fb-af9e-990fdee03373[/img]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-20, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Instructions for how to post pictures in in a sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 06-04-20, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
Most post bases are only designed to carry the vertical load/weight of the post. They do not provide much lateral support so that will have to come from somewhere else either bracketry on the joints at the top of the posts or diagonal bracing. Bracketry can be a cleaner look and leave the sides of the enclosure nice and open but can't do anything about flex/bending of your columns. Diagonal bracing can really stiffen a structure and take out leg sway but those diagonals block off the sides of your area and can be a head bump hazard/annoyance.

Old 06-04-20, 07:07 AM
J
Thank you PilotDane and XSleeper.

Here are some pictures that might help show you where I am at. I have added diagonal bracing to the post and beam, and used 6" lag bolts to secure them.

PilotDane, do you know what bracketry I might look for to help?

Attached Images    
Old 06-04-20, 07:16 AM
J
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Old 06-04-20, 08:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Your diagonal bracing will do a good job is probably doing a good job to stiffen it in one direction. The other way is a bit more difficult. I would do some diagonal braces from your posts up to the rafters to help stabilize it in that orientation. Keeping it symmetrical and nice looking will be difficult at this point. Normally I design for the bracing right in the beginning so I locate rafters and other things to make it easier and so the bracing looks better and not like an afterthought.

Old 06-04-20, 08:39 AM
Received 275 Votes on 256 Posts
What/how is the attachment to the roof?

Old 06-04-20, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
That thing looks like a potentially large kite.

It has nothing to square or stabilize it front to back. I would suggest that you need rafter ties (like a ceiling joist or beam) every 8 feet or so... near every post that tie back into your wall framing. Once you do that it will be solid as a rock.

Old 06-04-20, 10:16 AM
J
Marq1 it is attached to the roof by the Skylift Hardware
https://www.skylifthardware.com/Default.asp

Pilot Dane - that's what I was thinking, ill have to put my thinking cap on to find a way to make it look nice!

XSleeper - I think im going to install H1z rafter ties instead of the planned H2.5a ties. I feel the H1z will give it more strength on each rafter.

I think there will always be movement in the structure as its not attached to a solid wall/roof. My goal is to make it move as little as possible. If only bracing wasn't so ugly to look at lol unless you spend $40 for each brace.

Old 06-04-20, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Ties do not square the structure from swaying from front to back.

Old 06-04-20, 10:45 AM
Skylift Hardware
That is what I love about this site, every once in a while something new pops up!

Those are interesting to say the least!

Old 06-04-20, 11:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
For appearance I would consider cables for their minimalist, modern look but they only work in tension so you would have to do them on both sides. Stronger would be steel rods, tube or angles. Not as clean and sexy as cable but they provide strength in both tension and compression so you might get away with them on one side but could be added to the other side as well if you need more stiffening.

Old 06-04-20, 12:22 PM
J
That is what I love about this site, every once in a while something new pops up!

Those are interesting to say the least!
They mount to the top plate of your exterior wall which is a lot easier then tearing out your whole roof and connecting to existing rafters. We used to have a patio cover that was build below the gutters and Iím 6í4 and constantly hit my head on the beam🙄

Pilot Dane cables are a great idea, I could defiantly Hide them with string lites. Or they will just give it a more industrial look.

thank you!

Old 06-04-20, 02:20 PM
They mount to the top plate of your exterior wall
There have been a few recent post regarding patio sails and attaching them to rafter tails/fascias.

This might be something that could work for that!

Assume they are pretty robust?