A line pop out in my balcony patio

Old 06-08-20, 06:56 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A line pop out in my balcony patio

Hi everyone,

I may get a trouble on my balcony patio. Basically, I see a line pop out from my patio. Since there is no roof or gutter for my patio. Some water will left after the rain. I don't know that if this is caused by the water damaged on my patio? If so, how could I fix this? Thanks.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Fisher57; 06-08-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
Yes..... we see your patio.
Correct..... there is no roof or gutter.
I see what looks like small water spots.

Are you asking us where they are from ?
It is very possible to have small spots of water left over after a rain.
It's pretty hard for us to tell you how to fix them unless you can find exactly where they are coming from.

Old 06-08-20, 07:43 PM
F
Thanks for the response. OK. But is the line caused by a problem? Should I call a technician ? Or any thoughts that check where they are coming from?

Thanks.

Old 06-08-20, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,397 Votes on 1,294 Posts
Ok.... you're talking about a seam.
I can't tell from the pictures...... what is that deck made of ?
It looks like plywood and that may be just a seam between the sheets.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-08-20 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
From what I hear, fiberglass overlay decks are popular in Canada. Not so much here in the US. I cant advise on whether it's a problem or not, but you should keep an eye on it. If it develops a crack you should get it take care of asap. As PJmax mentioned, this is likely a seam in your plywood subfloor, and if it is swelling up, it's likely a moisture problem that may get worse over time. This is one reason why they are not very common here. They are problematic.

Old 06-08-20, 08:58 PM
F
OK. I see. Probably plywood but this is made from my pre-owner. I check the patio. From the edge, the patio looks like covered by a heavy sheet.
Since the patio was flat previously. I just notice the seam these days after rainy days. Is it possible that the water get into my patio?

Old 06-08-20, 09:09 PM
F
Thank you, XSleeper. That make sense. My concern is that will make plywood moisture and may affect structure problem. I may need to replace a new fiberglass rather than replace the whole deck.

Old 06-08-20, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Anything is possible. If it just happened all the sudden after a rain, that is a safe assumption. But if it has been happening slowly it could be heat and humidity that are trapped inside. That's one of the big problems with those kind of decks- no ventilation.

If you were going to look for leaks, you would inspect around any deck railings that penetrate the surface, look for cracks along the edges of the deck, or against the walls. Also closely examine above your "line" for any hairline cracks.

High humidity trapped inside will often first show up at the seams... it causes the edges of the panels to swell and loosen as the moisture trys to escape.

Fisher57 voted this post useful.
Old 06-08-20, 09:34 PM
F
Hi XSleeper,

I reviewed some old photos and find the seam was there for 3 months already. I think I need to call a deck technician to see the inside part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: