Pergola and a floating deck

Old 07-07-20, 08:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pergola and a floating deck

My wife found a Pergola she and I both like and we want to build a 14x16 floating deck for it. I talked to the county and asked if we needed a permit. He said along as we mount the pergola to the ground and it's not attach to the deck, then we do not need a permit, as long as the deck is free standing a below 30 inches.

What I to do is make the pergola looks as if it were attach to the deck but actually have it mounted to post and cemet and build the deck around it. I'm try to figure out the best way to do that transition and I'm coming up short, lol. I looked for pictures for ideas and have not found anything, hence my question.

Each corner has 4 points of mounting brackets. So each bracket would have it's own post. I guess I could connect each post with a 4x4 flush at the top of the post and then build the deck around each of the 4 corners. So basically all you would see would a 4 inch board, L shaped at each corner of the pergola. Does that make sense.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-20, 04:09 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Does that make sense.
Not to me, I have never heard the term "floating deck"!

Got some pictures of what your looking at?

Old 07-09-20, 01:45 PM
J
Grou

Ground level deck. A floating deck looks like its floating just above ground. In fact the picture is like what I want but the pergola is a little different the one She, my boss, wants

But after thinking about it I may need to talk to the boss and just get one like the first photo, which would much easier to install to the ground and wrap the deck around it, as there is one point of contact at each corner, instead of 3 points with the one she wants.

Old 07-09-20, 01:52 PM
So some possible issues with a ground level deck, low air flow, a great candidate for composite decking, but to be honest you should never build a deck with wood.

Something of that size is going to need support so integrating the pergola structure into the deck structure is the way to go!

Old 07-09-20, 06:10 PM
J
I'm not integrating the pergola into the deck, I'm building the deck around the pergola, so that it's not attached to it in any way. This is avoid needing any permit in my location. I already talked to the county and all we be good with them.

As for the air flow, yes air flow is an issue with ground level decks. It wont be next to dirt of any kind. The ground below is going to be bare, weed blocked and 3 inches of pea gravel and the deck is going to be on top of cement blocks which will have some air flow and will have good drainage.

Old 07-21-20, 03:16 PM
G
perg and floating deck

Marg1......So what do you suggest they use to build the deck with if not wood...

Old 07-21-20, 04:13 PM
Composites....................

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/d...site-deck.html

Old 07-21-20, 08:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Why build a ground level deck which will rot when you can pour a patio?