New Dock Design Questions

Old 07-16-20, 06:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Dock Design Questions

i am building a 12 ft dock for my relatively large lined pond. I consulted with a professional pond builder and got the ok, provided I used additional liner under the posts. The posts in the water will be held in place by cement footings, and I will add steps at the end so I can easily access the deep (4ft.+) part. This is a simple drawing of what I want to do.

1) How many sets of posts do I need?
2) How do I keep it from flipping up like a picnic table bench when I am at the end of the dock? Cement in the posts that are on land? Other methods?
Thanks!
Martha

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-20, 09:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
I have a similar arrangement in my pond. I have a 16' long aluminum scaffolding walk board for the horizontal and a simple, wooden H frame at the end to support the water end of the walk board. The verticals are 4x4 pressure treated then two horizontal 2x4 to support the walk board.

1. You need one set, two posts.

2. Unless you weigh 600 pounds the weight of 12' of dock walk should be more than enough to prevent it from lifting or tipping. To make certain all you have to do is anchor the shore end of your walk.

Old 07-16-20, 11:43 AM
M
Thanks! This is going to be easier than I thought! If I decide I should anchor it how would I go about that? No, I'm not 600 lbs. I'm kind of normal. My verticals are 4x4 as well. I plan on using pt 2x4s for the length...do I need to use pt for the horizontals? Would 1x6s work for that? And will the cement block footings hold the verticals well enough?

Old 07-16-20, 12:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, anything outside in the weather needs to be pressure treated.

I would NOT use 1x lumber. It is simply too thin and splits easily. 2" thick (actually 1 1/2") would be the minimum I'd use.

Depending on how you do it you won't really need a footer for your vertical 4x4 other than to protect the pond's liner. I think you'll have enough weight to prevent the water end from floating but it might not have enough weight for stability if someone jumps off (pushes off) the side of the dock. You don't want it to tip over. A horizontal 4x4 at the bottom of your water legs could provide side to side stability or you could add weight to ballast it down hard on the bottom though you'd need to be extra careful to protect the liner.

Old 07-16-20, 12:15 PM
M
Thanks very much for your help!
How do I anchor the shore end?

Old 07-16-20, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Does it need anchoring?

How you attach the walk board on shore depends on how you construct your walk board and how securely you want to anchor it. A few "pins" of rebar could be driven through holes bored through the frame and into the ground. Or, you could sink 4x4 posts into the ground and bolt or screw your walk board stringers into them.

Old 07-17-20, 06:33 AM
M
Hmmm...I'll give the rebar a try. I live on a glacial moraine, and nothing can be pounded into the ground as is. It is full of rock. A post wouldn't go in more than an inch or two. I plan on building a covered deck of some sort next summer that the dock will attach to so that would solve the problem then.
Thanks again.

Old 07-17-20, 07:56 AM
A
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
any reason why you would not do a floating dock with a ramp to the bank?