Reading Hardware Load Tables (shear strength)

Old 07-17-20, 06:23 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Reading Hardware Load Tables (shear strength)

Planning an attached 14x16 pergola with front 6x6 posts and a 6x10 beam (yes, this is overkill I know, but doing it for aesthetic purposes). Wanting to find lateral stability without the need for angle braces. Though I've looked at L-braces mostly, if I'm reading the tables right, it looks as if angle brackets on each side might provide more lateral stability? That's what the f1 numbers seem to indicate:

If I'm better off with the heavy angle & gusset option, please let me know. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-20, 08:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
I think the F1 load is for sheer not torsion. So, it's rated for preventing the vertical post from being shoved sideways. It is not a rating for how well it can hold the joint at a 90 angle. It certainly will help hold the joint perpendicular, it's just not specified in the table. As an FYI the 7 ga brackets are made from steel 3/16" (.1875") thick while the 3 ga brackets are 1/4" (.25") thick. So, pretty stout.

A "T" bracket or plate on the face of the joint would provide a lot of lateral support to hold the joint at 90 if you think you need more than the angle brackets that go inside the corner. And, an angle bracket on both sides is stronger than having a bracket on one side only.

BobStrauss voted this post useful.
Old 07-20-20, 11:34 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks! I've decided to go with Simpson Strong-Tie T-braces on both sides of each post-beam connection. They're 16x16 inches and 7 gauge steel. If that isn't enough I can always add knee braces later, I guess.

Appreciate the help!

Old 07-20-20, 12:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 631 Votes on 583 Posts
They should have a nice "chunky" look that will match well with your timbers.