Garden hose stand/spigot installation on deck

Old 07-22-20, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garden hose stand/spigot installation on deck

Getting to my spigot out back every morning is an injury waiting to happen.

I decided to try relocating the spigot to a better spot with this SunJoe product (all steel) and a heavy-duty leader hose.

Could not find a good leader hose longer than 10' so my option for moving the spigot will be better but still not ideal.

Dream solution: Hire a good handyman to relocate the spigot to the deck. I can water everything from there and it would be a life-changer to not have to go through so many gyrations to turn on the spigot and wrangle the hose.

Offering a reward for the best suggested solution to stick this thing in my deck about where it is pictured. I have considered taking it to a metal shop and having them cut off the primary stake (that is designed to be driven into the ground) and then somehow clamping/bolting its base on the deck. Or even cut the deck board enough for drive that sucker in there and then bolt/clamp it down.

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-20, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Looks like all you would need to do is drill a hole with a hole saw in the edge of a deck board for the spike to drop into. All the V's could go into the gaps between your deck boards. Then drill a couple holes in the top of the part that sits on the deck and put 2 screws in.

It doesnt look like it will be very sturdy. Looks to me like it will wobble left and right. So after it is installed, it might be a good idea to go under the deck and add a piece of blocking (a flat piece that fits between your joists) up against the spike to stabilize it. If that piece had a hole drilled in it that would fit over the tip of the spike tightly as you hammered it up there, (then nail the ends of that blocking to the joists) that would make it really solid.

dusibellissimo voted this post useful.
Old 07-22-20, 02:36 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
If I was doing this!

I would toss the lower "spike", drill two holes one above and one below the spigot, at top and bottom of the vertical square tube which would then be lag bolted the the deck post where it is sitting right now!

You would then bore a hole through the deck post and get a longer piece of pipe to go through the deck post and reconnect the spiget and elbow!

A little bit of work but once installed it will be very solid and sturdy!

Old 07-22-20, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Yep, bolting it to the post is a good idea.

!!!!!

Old 07-22-20, 05:35 PM
I went out there to put my eyes on it again and one thing led to another and look what happened.

Popped out the bottom section, and just being curious tried 'hanging' the bar on that lattice. It fit (in my best Ace Ventura voice) like a glove!

Connected the leader hose from the bib on the wall to the unit's intake valve, connected my hose and hung it, turned the water on, and it is actually usable as is if I gently open the hose valve on the unit and carefully remove and replace the hose...

So lazy will win the day. No handyman, no drilling, no cutting, no additional hardware, etc. required -- I think I may just lash that thing on the lattice and it might could work fine if I go easy on it.

Many thanks for the great feedback, and please come back with more if you like, especially about the 'lashing' part. Not an ideal and sturdy solution, to be sure, but doable and workable I think.

Old 07-26-20, 09:29 AM
The Lazy Way Works...

The zip ties hold it firm. That hose rig is light. And it can be relocated should that ever be needed.

Old 07-26-20, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
There ya go...... nice job.