deck posts bending

Old 07-23-20, 11:44 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
deck posts bending

I have noticed some of my deck posts are having slight bent in them (see the picture). One of my friends says that's because the beam (? not sure if I got the term right, or should it be called joist/girder?) is sitting on edge of the post (again see the picture) so the load is not right in the center of the post and bent it over time.

But I was doing some research myself and have seen websites showing construction similar (i.e. the beam setting on a side notch of a post), e.g. https://boston-decks-and-porches.com...our-deck-care/

So is it a problem or not? The bending does concern me obviously I wouldn't want to have the deck come crashing down... Do I need to get it addressed? If yes, how?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-20, 11:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
PT wood bends, twists and checks. I doubt I'd be overly concerned but would keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't get worse. A little hard for me to tell from the pic, is that 2x doubled up or just a single board? How far does it span until the next post?

Old 07-23-20, 12:15 PM
B
@marksr thanks for your reply. ease my worries a little!

by "2x doubled up or just a single board" you mean the beam? it's 2 boards stacked together if that's what you mean (attached more pictures), and it's about 10 feet away from the next post.

Old 07-23-20, 12:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I figured it would be doubled up, just couldn't tell for sure from the pic. So we know that's one corner that wasn't cut.

The last pic looks a lot worse than the first. If you set a level or straightedge on it - how much is bowed?

Old 07-23-20, 01:20 PM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
The concrete footing looks like it may be cracked horizontally.
Could it be that the top section is slipping to the left.

Old 07-23-20, 01:27 PM
B
@marksr a few more pics try to show you how warped it is (sorry don't have a proper level I'm just using a curtain rod to give some reference...)

Old 07-23-20, 01:31 PM
B
@manden you might have a good point. i'm not an expert so i can't be sure... but from what i can see it doesn't seem like the footing has cracked all the way through (just added a few more pics on a previous post maybe you can see the footing better in them). however, it's curious that the footing of the warp post is in bad shape while all other footings are in much better shape...

Old 07-23-20, 01:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm back to thinking it should be ok but keep an eye on it.
It shouldn't be overly difficult to replace that one 6x6.
I'm thinking the footer on the end was just a bad pour.

Old 07-23-20, 02:04 PM
B
@marksr thanks for your advice!

so having the beam on one side of the post is a pretty standard thing? the warp is just that post happens to warp (as some PT posts do)?

Old 07-24-20, 03:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ideally the posts would be centered on the concrete but things don't always work out right. Posts get notched all the time like yours were done. PT wood is prone to twist/bend as it dries out. Your warped post is more than you'd like to see but it does happen. You saw it a lot back when 4x4 posts were used. At least it isn't a tall post.

Old 07-24-20, 06:20 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Different moisture content on the surface facing out and the surface facing the shady underside of the deck. This causes warping.

Old 07-25-20, 06:06 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Different moisture content on the surface facing out and the surface facing the shady underside of the deck. This causes warping.
Also, look at the tight grain structure on the back of the wood compared to the loose grain structure of the front. Two different densities of wood within the same piece. From the overview pic which shows the neighboring post, it appears this one is also smaller than the other. The footing and attachment are also different. I think the one to the right has been replaced (with bigger, more appropriate lumber) and this one is older. Is the warped post even pressure treated?

Old 07-26-20, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It looks like weathered PT posts to me.
You can tell by the pic in post #3 that the posts are 6x6s.