Storm damaged rails and stairs

Old 07-25-20, 09:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Storm damaged rails and stairs

So, I'm having a fun time this year this far. Already have a claim in for a damaged roof and halfway through the approval process a tree falls onto my walkout basement stairs and smashes the railing. I don't know if it's worth an additional deductible payment yet. It's not top mounted but buried into the concrete. So, I need to get the other sections out (hammer drill maybe) and then figure out how to replace it. The sections I see at big box stores are mainly aluminum, offered in 4, 6 or 8 feet. This is a custom 14 foot section. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-20, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
I agree that you probably don't want to file a claim for such little damage. It probably would not be worth the rise in your insurance premium.

How many attachments to the concrete broke? It looks like only one? If so you might want to look closely and see if there is a way to fix what you have. Maybe a angle bracket bolted to the concrete and railing.

Old 07-26-20, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
My BiL used to have a house with a similar fence/rail. He had 2 that were broke and I was able to add a short piece of steel and weld them back in place.

Old 07-26-20, 07:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Additional damage

Here's the other side of the rail I forgot to add. Thought I put that there. There are 3 attachment points. Two are still in the concrete, one is completely out which you see in the first uploaded pic. The linked pic wouldn't upload for some reason. Either way, the other side is mangled from where the tree landed.

Rail damage