Deck Repair - Rotting

Old 08-02-20, 05:38 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Repair - Rotting

Hello all-

My deck is 12-15 years old. It was well built using pressure treated lumber and treks decking. It was also trimmed with pine which has started to rot in some spots. Iíve been replacing the rotting pine trim with pvc trim.

While removing pine in one particular corner, I noticed the pressure treated joist is also rotting in the corner (rest seems fine). What would be the best approach to repairing? Can I cut out just the rotting section and replace?

i should mention that we have a jacuzzi that sits on top so I wouldnít be able to remove the treks decking unless I have the spa removed.

i suspect this was caused by water getting between the pine trim and joist over the years...

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-20, 05:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 271 Votes on 240 Posts
That rim joist should be replaced. If you go under the deck and temporarily support the deck you should be able to replace those boards without removing the jacuzzi.

lpaul626 voted this post useful.
Old 08-02-20, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
If those rims are structural, and I assume they are, the entire board needs to be replaced from bearing to bearing. I have never seen treated wood do that. Wonder if it has anything to do with the pool chemicals as well?

Old 08-02-20, 05:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume it's from water getting trapped between the joist and the pine trim.

Old 08-02-20, 05:54 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Agree on the water getting trapped in between pine trim and pressure treated. Now I question whether to replace the pine trim at all.

i have noticed other sections of rotting trim over joists. I havenít removed to inspect the joists though.

Old 08-02-20, 07:34 AM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
What I see as unusual is that it's in the corner only!

Face trim is not unusual, I have it on my deck, but wondering if something else is going on that is not allowing water to drain through the deck boards and is being channeled to the corner.

Old 08-02-20, 09:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 536 Votes on 493 Posts
I am seeing this kind of problem more often in the past 15 years since they changed to non arsenic treatments. Modern, treated 2"x lumber really needs good airflow to all sides and the ability to dry out.

Old 08-02-20, 09:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd think the extra moisture comes from the jacuzzi. The deck could be pitched ever so slightly to that corner also.