Twisting 4x4 deck support posts - how serious a problem?

Old 08-06-20, 01:46 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Twisting 4x4 deck support posts - how serious a problem?

Greetings everyone! I've come to rely on you guys to give me an unbiased opinion. I had a guy come out 5 months ago to put fresh deck boards on a 20 yr old deck which I've been told is the original with the house. At the time the posts were twisted and checked in some places when I asked him about it he said they looked ugly but were structurally sound and repeated this several times assuring they'd last several years more. I had him come back out for other work recently, but now he says those posts are no good and I should replace them within a year. My questions are:
  • How serious is this defect? Given the age of the deck, I imagine it's been this way for a while.
  • Given this deck comes off a 2nd story, is this something one can tackle on their own or should definitely seek a professional for?
Here are some pictures of the twists. Out of 6 posts, these 2 were the most notable. I apologize for the shoddiness of my camera and I tried to outline some of the angles in red to help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-20, 01:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 292 Votes on 260 Posts
How is the deck joist attached to the top of the 4x4?
It's not uncommon for pressure treated wood to warp some or develop minor cracks.

Dorocha voted this post useful.
Old 08-06-20, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
A bigger problem than the twisting is that it doesn't have a Simpson bracket on it. If it gets replaced it needs to have one.

Old 08-06-20, 02:58 PM
D
That's a good question I've been asking myself. I've been researching different methods to fasten posts to beams and I don't see any braces, nails, screws, etc. of any sort. Any ideas how it might be fastened? No bolts on top either that I can see but might be something hidden under the deck board. Could it be they aren't attached at all?

Old 08-06-20, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 590 Posts
It appears to be toenailed in your bottom photo.

Old 08-06-20, 09:25 PM
D
You are right - just didn't look hard enough. There were nails hidden under all that thick, opaque stain.

Old 08-07-20, 05:27 AM
Received 347 Votes on 323 Posts
So 4x4 posts are probably the most prone to twisting, the shed I built last summer has two posts for the overhang and one has twisted notacabley, but as long as they are solid, their structural capability is still good, it's a visual thing.

So the upper connection is easy, what is the situation at the footing?

Old 08-07-20, 06:23 AM
D
Looks iffy as well. The post goes about 3 inches into the dirt before you hit concrete (please see picture below). I touched the wood with my hand and you can see where it flaked off leaving grooves. Looks like the waterproofing sealant is worn through. I also dug halfway around on either side to see if there was any hardware connecting the post to the concrete, but I don't see any. If the other posts for the deck are in similar shape, on a scale of 1 to 10 how bad do you think this is?

Old 08-07-20, 11:29 AM
Received 347 Votes on 323 Posts
Not too bad, the footing is pretty much at the surface, like the top a simpson tie into the footing would be a good choice.

But it' been that way for 20 years so it has held up well!