Composite Deck Overhang with Lobed Bottom Boards?

Old 08-07-20, 01:00 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite Deck Overhang with Lobed Bottom Boards?

I'm planning to use the Deckorators Tropics composite boards for my deck, but I failed to consider that the boards have lobes on the bottom rather than being solid. This kind of throws a wrench in my plans of having a 1" overhang around the edge of my deck (picture frame) and stairs since the lobes do not provide a lot of support. I'm sure someone has run into this issue before and I'm wondering of ways to get around it. Here's what it would look like with my original plans:

As you can see half the deck board would be unsupported. Probably not too much of an issue for the edge of the deck, but I think I want more support for the stair treads that will see a lot of traffic and loading on that leading edge.

One option to get around this would be to add a 3/4"-7/8" spacer between the structure and the fascia that will give more support. I like this option.

Another option would be to increase the overhang a bit and use the 1/2" fascia to support the board. Not a big fan of this one just because of how thin the fascia is though it would probably be fine.

Similarly, I can decrease the overhang to 1/2" or so and use the fascia for support. Pretty much the same as the previous option but smaller overhang.

If anyone else has some ideas or advice I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-20, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
Take some of your scraps and rip them on a table saw to the width you need to create a filler and tack it anywhere you need the added support.

Old 08-07-20, 02:24 PM
J
That would be easier. Thanks!

Old 08-08-20, 12:26 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
The way it;s recommended is the fascia boards come up flush to the top of the deck boards to hide the edges. The way you are showing the ends, and the edges will all be viable!

Old 08-08-20, 07:07 AM
J
The way it;s recommended is the fascia boards come up flush to the top of the deck boards to hide the edges. The way you are showing the ends, and the edges will all be viable!
I've seen that as an option and that makes sense, but then I why would they make solid-edged boards with lobes on the bottom in the first place if you're going to cover up the edges. I suppose if you're on a budget and having a less finished deck, then you can use these boards without fascia. Or maybe a half-supported board would be fine (like I said, probably okay for the edge of the deck but I don't like it for the stair treads).

Here's the recommendation from Deckorators, but they just don't address the lobed-bottom boards.

Old 08-08-20, 11:09 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
The "lobed bottom" is really not an issue, just lay them out so the two flat portions meet the joists and your good, you should never need to have a raised support as you have shown.

There are many ways to finish, nothing is one way, but seeing the ends of the deck boards looks crappy!

Old 09-14-20, 12:22 PM
J
I ended up ripping filler strips like XSleeper suggested and it worked really well. They gave the overhang the extra support I was looking for. One thing I noticed, at least with the batch of boards I had, was that the center lobe was slightly shorter (1/16" to 1/8") than the outer lobes. Without the filler strip the overhung board would only be supported by the outer and center lobe which would result in a tilted board. So the filler strips helped keep all the boards level and get my miters to align nicely.

Old 09-14-20, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
Looks great, nice job!