Best way to treat wood on sun and rain-exposed porch?

Old 08-09-20, 02:35 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Best way to treat wood on sun and rain-exposed porch?

Hi everyone,

I have a porch railing top which is made of pressure treated wood (I believe). This top portion was not otherwise treated or painted when we moved into the new home 6-7 years ago.

Over the past years, due to perceived cracking of the wood, I've treated it a few times with this water stain. I must be using it wrong (among other things) because it certainly does not last 5 years per treatment!

Here are some photos of the deck status now. You can see some of the older stain peeling off.

The other surfaces of the porch are painted wood (vertical railing) and Trex (for the floor). They look great still.

What is the best way to revitalize the wood surface?

Should I sand off everything and retreat/restain?

Should l pressure wash everything and restain?

Is there a specific type of stain/water treatment you recommend? Or is that the wrong way to go?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-20, 02:51 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
I would just sand and reapply stain, dont believe everything you read!

Old 08-09-20, 09:45 PM
W
Oops, after further review, I was actually using this. Probably doesn't change much for the re-treatment plan.

Old 08-10-20, 12:16 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
So you solid stained it an then used thompsons on top?

FYI Thompsons is a pretty crappy product, doesn't offer much in the way of long term protection, pitch it!

Sand and re-coat with the solid stain!

minimac voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-20, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
You'll want to make sure the TWS is removed or worn completely off before applying any stain. The same properties that make TWS repel water also make it hard for stain to adhere well.

3-5 yrs is the norm for stain with that type of exposure.

minimac voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-20, 12:32 PM
W
To clarify. I never used the Woodscapes product. I found that in the builder paint stockpile left behind. That was used I think for the pine soffits above the porch.

I used only the Thompson's Waterseal for the railing tops. And @marq1, you're right, it didn't do a whole lot! I was hoping not to change the color of the wood too much, hence the transparent version.

So, my plan is to use 80 grit to sand everything down first. I might consider using that Woodscapes, but I'm not sure how much is left or if they added a paint color to it. The porch and staircase railings aren't that large an area, but would hate to run out mid-way.

Do you guys have any suggestions on a transparent or semi-transparent sealer + stain? Looking at sites like this:
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-deck-stain/
May go with the Cabot Australian Timber Oil, low VOC version.

Old 08-10-20, 01:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
That woodscapes is a semi-transparent stain. That means it has a good bit of color but does let the variations in grain show thru the stain. Clear stains have the shortest life span. I like the look of Flood's CWF but you'd do good to get a couple of yrs out of it. Toners or translucent stains have a small amount of color but are mostly clear.