How much would a contractor charge for this?

Old 08-12-20, 11:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much would a contractor charge for this?

I'm just curious how much I'm saving by doing this job by myself. I'm scraping down the chipping paint on this patio cover and repainting it. Each 1 X 1 slat must be removed, then I'm sanding the tops and repainting. I'm also replacing about a third of the slats with new ones, which of course I have to cut and repaint. I'm also replacing 4 of the 11 cross beams. I'm thinking maybe $10,000 in Los Angeles?
https://i.imgur.com/j17wBCm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-20, 02:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Labor prices can vary a lot. I suspect replacing the boards would be about the same cost. If I was to take a paint job like that I'd clean them up the best I could in place. I wouldn't remove them. That's more work than I care to do and a cost greater than any customer I've ever had would be willing to pay.

Old 08-13-20, 06:49 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
I'd replace all those slats with 1 X 4 PVC lumber so I'd never have to deal with them again.
(1 X 4's would not sag like a 2 X 2 would.)
You can buy trim head screws that come with vinyl plugs to cover up the screw heads to keep water out.
I'd prefinsh any new lumber used, and the old wood with Olympic solid stain, not paint.

Old 08-14-20, 12:10 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1 X 4's would not let enough sunlight in (I assume you mean laying flat). I like 1 X 1's (Which are technically about 1 1/2" X 1 1/2").
Also this patio cover is about 63 years old and my home in this neighborhood is a contractor's demo. That's why I hate spending too much on it.