Opinion on this miter

Old 08-17-20, 08:35 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opinion on this miter

I am having a composite deck installed by a contractor and after checking out their days work, I saw this miter which I think looks bad. It looks like what happened is they miss cut the piece parallel to the ribbon too small (the skinny lighter board) so they shifted this angle over to make the gap smaller. But IMO it looks sloppy. I pointed it out to the contractor who got incredibly defensive and upset, told me I was micromanaging them and being picky (huge red behavior flags). This was my first and only comment so far on the project.

I don't do any of this kind of work so I want to be sure. What are your opinions of that miter?

Thanks for the feedback

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-20, 08:44 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
That is completely beyond being picky, if he's being defensive about something so obvious you better start looking at everything else because I'd put money down there is more!

redoctober45 voted this post useful.
Old 08-17-20, 08:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
It shouldn't be a big deal to fix it, not sure why he would get defensive. As noted above you might want to keep a closer eye on his work or even have someone with more knowledge to look at it for you.

Old 08-17-20, 09:15 AM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
Looks like they are just starting to lay down the decking so if they mess up the first coarse all the rest of the decking will be off. Much better to fix it now then have to pull it all later because it looks like crap.

You are paying a pretty penny for the decking and therefore should expect it to be properly installed.
What you show is not properly installed hopefully there is a hold back on the payments.

Sounds like you will have to use your people skills with this person.

Old 08-17-20, 09:24 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful.

Old 08-17-20, 09:54 AM
R
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
If those were the first boards he installed on my deck I would fire him on the spot. I think his poor work and attitude will continue and the rest of the install has the strong possibility up being totally unacceptable.

Old 08-17-20, 02:18 PM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Is this new decking on original frame? With a new frame, the decking miter joint should land over a frame member with no gap. Did you and the contractor agree on the new decking orientation?