Sliding Deck

Old 08-18-20, 09:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding Deck

I was trying to replace the end board and step of my deck as the end board was loose and the step rotted.
When I removed them, I discovered the deck was actually slipping down the posts that support it and the top of the posts actually pushed up the end board.
My first instinct was to get my sledgehammer and pound the posts into the ground far enough that the tops went below the frame and a board would fit atop.
But, then I figured it would only be a matter of time until the posts pushed the board up again.
So, I loosened the bolts and raised the deck a few inches with a car jack. (You can see it on the right side.)
My question is, how do I keep the deck up as I am afraid it will just slide back down if all I do is tighten the straps again.
Will putting bricks under it suffice?
There are no holes in the posts to secure the boards which would have been nice.
I am pretty certain this deck was not built by professionals.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-20, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
You're right, that is no way to attach a deck. Unfortunately it's a little hard to fix now and as you noted, your deck has more than one thing wrong with it thanks to the builders.

Best solution I could suggest is to cut those metal posts off flush with the concrete. Jack the deck up to the correct level, then cut a 4x4 to sit there instead. (The 4x4 could be anchored to the concrete with an adjustable post base) Clamp it to the rim joist, drill a pilot hole clear through everything, then bolt it to the 4x4. 2 bolts per side, preferably... measure and aim so they bolts miss each other.

The whole thing is probably not to code, and decks that close to the ground are just a bad idea. They are prone to rot, mold and mildew.

The cheap and dirty solution would just be to shim it like you suggest by putting some blocks between the concrete and the framing. Up to you how you tackle it. It's not long for this world the way it looks anyway.

joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 08-18-20, 10:04 AM
T
Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply!
FYI: There is no concrete.
That is just one block the step sat on.
It's sitting on nothing but plain old dirt.

Old 08-18-20, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
If you want it on concrete you would just need to dig post holes and put in a Sonotube form and pour a column to set your posts on. Or bring the Sonotube up under the rim joist so that the rim joist is sitting on the concrete, and skip the posts.

Old 08-18-20, 10:51 AM
T
I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Old 08-18-20, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Sure. You will just need a post hole digger and an anchor to embed in the concrete. Something like this would work. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpson-Str...rap/1003011586