Fixing and or add edging to walkway.

Old 08-20-20, 09:10 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing and or add edging to walkway.

I have this concrete walkway into the house. I like the fact that it has a smooth and straight (has pitch) surface so I can roll a cart and makes it easy to go in an out. But the edges are deteriorating and I would like to fix and paint it. How can I prevent the sides of the concrete to fall apart like this. I want to keep things simple, lean, clear, clean, minimalistic. I don't want to add ornamented decoration but I would like to make sure that if I repair the concrete it does not fall apart like this in 2, 5, 10 years. Do I need bricks on the side? or some other element to cover the sides in order to prevent the breaking? I would not mind something like a thin simple line flushed with the concrete next to it up to 1 inch thick or so. Could I use timber or composite? Again, if there is a solution that involves not adding anything I would much prefer that. The less cost the better too. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-20, 11:43 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Concrete is not a repair friendly product, if the edges are chipping there isnt anything that you can do to repair, maybe by sealing/epoxy coating it might slow down the process but it will continue.

You could like the edges with pavers if your looking for a reasonably easy way to make it wider but that is not going to do anything to prevent deterioration!

Old 08-20-20, 11:51 AM
A
Thanks Marq1, I am not looking to widen it, I am looking to fix the edge of the concrete before painting. What are the possible solutions?

Old 08-23-20, 07:08 PM
C
What about the simple garden liner that may act like a retaining wall to keep it at least in tight? I dont know if any way to fix but maybe slow down the deterioration?? Here is the stuff I was thinking about -

Old 08-24-20, 02:23 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
As noted there is no permanent repair, anything you do will eventually fail, replacement should be considered!

From the looks of it youve gotten a lot of years use!

Old 08-24-20, 08:34 AM
A
Hi Marq, I Don't know anything about concrete, cement or building but are you saying there is no way to patch it (why?) add anything to the side, then fill the whole or spaces with cement or the appropriate material. It is hard to believe that. If the solution is to widen the walkway with bricks or similar then there is a solution. If yes how to do that?