Best edging for dry-lay brick walkway?

Old 08-26-20, 02:57 AM
W
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Best edging for dry-lay brick walkway?

Hey all, doing a short (24 feet) brick walkway for our front yard. I will be dry-laying the bricks, and was wondering what was the best edging product to use? Are they all about the same? Are there some that are better than others?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-20, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
I like the heavy duty plastic edging. It doesn't rust and it can be bent to follow curves. Don't skimp on the anchor pegs/nails.

Old 08-26-20, 07:50 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Ive used that edging for walkways and patios,eventually it works it's way loose, despite the nails/posts.

At this point they are all removed. Carry your compacted base material at least 6" beyond the edge of the brick and just fill with dirt and allow grass to grow, that does a good job of anchoring them, Then just trim the edge like a cement walk/drive!

Old 08-26-20, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
Home Depot has aluminum edging that works pretty well. But yeah, anything nailed can eventually work loose. If it's going to have lawn on both sides, I would do as Marq suggests, and not raise the brick up above grade much at all. 3/4" max.

Old 08-26-20, 11:18 AM
W
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. Even the edging that tucks under the sand/brick will work it's way up?

My dad put in brick pavers at his house about 40 years ago without any edging and they are holding up to this day, but he placed a border course of brick on their sides (longways) that I assume act as edging. I am not wanting that particular look, so I figured I needed something else.

We do have heavy clay soil, and yes, I am going to have grass on both sides, so maybe that is all I need to do.

Old 08-26-20, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
I extend my compacted base about 6" beyond the patio or walk perimeter. I use the plastic edging that is like an upside down T. One leg goes under the pavers while the other is outside. Being under the pavers and on a good compacted base has worked well but giving the edging a good stable foundation is important.