Repairing rotting builder's deck joist attached to a stucco house

Old 08-27-20, 11:26 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing rotting builder's deck joist attached to a stucco house

Hello. I am in the process of rebuilding my elevated deck which is part of the original construction of my 31 year old stucco house. A couple of the joists have significant rot. I am trying to decide between sistering the rotted joists or replacing them. I prefer to replace them and I think that might be easier as long as I don't need to tear down the stucco wall. I can see the joists are suspended with joist hangers that are attached to a wooden beam behind the stucco. The joist hangers extend slightly beyond the stucco. It appears to me that I can simply remove a small amount of the stucco that is surrounding the joist hanger, remove the nails or screws that hold the joists in place, and remove the joist. After that, I would attach the new joist, use Dap All Purpose Stucco Patch to repair the small amount of stucco I would have removed, and then do the caulking. I would love to hear thoughts about this strategy.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-20, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Replacing is probably the best option. But it's up to you, you've got eyes on it. If you sister it you could just remove the hanger and use a double hanger instead.

And I would not be surprised if portions of the ledger weren't rotten as well.

Problem you will run into trying to remove the rotten joist is you probably wont get the fasteners out of the decking. You may have to sawzall the rotten joist into pieces (cutting vertically between deck planks) and knock off a foot at a time. Then buzz the nails or screws off from underneath with a grinder.

Old 08-28-20, 01:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your reply XSleeper.

I want to clarify a few things. The wood the hanger is fastened to is behind the stucco and appears to me to be in good shape. I would only sister if getting full access to the hanger would be more trouble than it is worth, in which case I would attach a ledger on the outside of the stucco with a rubber puck style washer around each bolt to prevent water intrusion. My question is whether chiselling a small amount of stucco so that I have sufficient access to the embedded hanger is a wise strategy. I envision repacing the chiseled stucco with stucco patch and painting it prior to replacing the joists and doing the caulking. What possible complications do you foresee? Is this likely to result in a waterproof repair?

Old 08-28-20, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I can't see what you can see so if you could post a photo maybe someone might be able to answer that.