Aluminum Baluster Connectors? Or Drill Holes?

Old 09-02-20, 05:42 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Aluminum Baluster Connectors? Or Drill Holes?

I got a bunch of aluminum balusters from a friend, about 35. Then I needed 60 more so I bought them from HD. He didn't have connectors neither did the balusters I bought. But I was reading, it might be bad for the water to get down in the holes if you don't use the connectors? He used composite deck boards, I am using treated. Thoughts on just drilling my own holes? Wouldn't mind saving the 40 bucks. If I do drill my own holes, what do you think about depth? I was just going to use a forstner bit and using the half inch of it as the depth to keep it consistent.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-20, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Your ballusters are aluminum. Treated wood should not be in contact with aluminum as the aluminum will corrode. The fact that they will be sitting in water (in the hole you drill) will make it worse.

Maybe you could make yourself a composite cap out of a plank and just drill your forstner holes in that and fasten it to the treated wood. Make a double thickness for under the handrail do that you can stick the ballusters up high to clear the bottom, then drop them in the holes. The top holes will need to be a little oversized to give you some wiggle room. A dab of caulk in the top holes will keep them from rattling.

Old 09-02-20, 06:54 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks. Sorry they are steel. Here is a link to the ones I have. I could have sworn it says they won't rust or corrode. Would that be fine then?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Precisio...R-BP/300834771

Old 09-02-20, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
Well that's good. You might want to buy a quart of Copperkote and pour some in each hole you drill.