Attaching Lattice between posts

Old 09-07-20, 05:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attaching Lattice between posts

First, thanks in advance to all for sharing your expertise. My deck is about 8’ off of ground and I would like to enclose under sides with lattice. The issue I am struggling with is how to support lattice at bottom. My 6x6 posts are around 15’ apart. I would think running a 2x between the inside of the 6x6’ without some sort of base support would result in them sagging and wobbly. I Am sure this is a common issue. I am in northeast. I don’t want tp start pouring support footings between posts.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-20, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
Unless your deck beam is triple 2x12 and your joists are only 6 feet long, there is no way your posts should be 15 ft apart. It sounds to me like your deck needs more posts. Download the DCA6 for starters.

And since you have ruled out additional support footings, I'm not even sure what to tell you.

Old 09-07-20, 05:40 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 105 Posts
I would probably use 16' 2x4's as support. You have the 2x12 at the top. I would probably add one at the 4' level, and one about 6" above the ground. Then nail away!

Old 09-07-20, 05:42 PM
J
I stand corrected. 14’ from ledger board connected to house to end of deck, where a 2x10 Beam is supported By 6x6 posts. Along the beam, posts are of course closer together. 2x10 joists from ledger to beam.

Old 09-08-20, 06:05 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Dig post holes in line with alignment of the bottom stringer and add short 4x4's to support the bottom stringer.

Old 09-08-20, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 621 Posts
Fasten a 2x4 flat between the posts as a top and bottom plate... flush with the back side of the posts. Keep the bottom plate elevated... maybe 3 1/2" above grade by using some scraps of 2x4 to hold it off the ground. Use Simson fb24z's to mount the bottom plate if desired. The top plate can likely be fastened (between posts) to the bottom of the joists or to blocking placed between joists. Fasten a long 2x4 or 2x6 across the back of each post (at least 5 1/2" longer than your bottom plate, so that it laps halfway behind each post) and screw it into the back of the post and into the back of the bottom plate to form a T which will help keep the bottom plate firm and straight. Frame in studs in between just like a wall. Apply the lattice to the outside, between the posts.

if you feel you need additional support behind the bottom plate, drive some rebar stakes into the soil behind the framing or through holes drilled in the bottom plate. But fastening the bottom plate into a T will keep it fairly stiff.

Old 09-08-20, 05:17 PM
J
Thanks. That is what I needed to know.