sealing a deck railing

Old 09-08-20, 06:01 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sealing a deck railing

Just finished pressure washing/cleaning the deck (pressure treated wood). When I have a few rainless days in a row I plan to seal it with "BEHR Premium. Clear Transparent Waterproofing Exterior Wood Finish."

I figured I'd use a pad on a pole to apply it to the deck itself, but I'm not looking forward to the verticals of the railing (see attached). There are 308 of them, and unlike the deck boards I'll have to do all four sides. I obviously can't use a pad, so that means either brush or sprayer. I already have one of those pump-style sprayers, but I'm concerned that whatever type of sprayer I use, there will be a LOT of waste, since per linear foot there's like 4x more empty space than wood.

For something like this, is a brush and time the best way to apply?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-20, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Whenever you spray a coating on wood it's best to work it into the wood with a brush or roller so the coating doesn't just lay on top of the wood. If you narrow the spray some and use a brush/roller to finish covering the wood that might save you time and stain.

Old 09-08-20, 06:07 AM
V
If I'm going to individually brush/roll the verticals after spraying, wouldn't it be quicker to just brush/roll it on in the first place?

Old 09-08-20, 06:08 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
You could use a paint glove, or as I have done a few times, a heavy cotton glove with rubber glove on first.

I would ask you to search this site and look at the horrible reviews that krappy Bear stain your planning to use, after all that work to prep then watch it fail.

Think Sikkens!

Old 09-08-20, 06:31 AM
V
I was basing my choice on Consumer Reports--looking again, it was actually the Behr semi-transparent that was highly rated, so I'd try that over the Clear: "Behr’s Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing is the only one that held up on a deck after the equivalent of two years." But "Solid stains last longest overall. Behr’s Solid Color Waterproofing, a CR Best Buy at $29 per gallon, handily beat Benjamin Moore’s $46 Arborcoat Deck & Siding Solid—and left similarly pricey stains from Sherwin-Williams and Sikkens on the mat." I want to change the color as little as possible.

Could you point me to some of the threads you were reading?

Old 09-08-20, 09:19 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Just go to exterior improvements and select decks, search Behr and read away!

Always a difference between real use and recommendations, I'd stick by the real use!

Old 09-08-20, 02:04 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Marksr...
Using the garden sprayer is going to help you apply the stain the the wood, but it will be tricky to get an even application with all of the angles and intersecting pieces....and especially with the cheesy garden sprayer. The brush will help you to even that out, remove runs, and also to work it into the voids and pores of the wood. The advantage of the sprayer is that it will get the stain on much faster than dipping your brush 1000 times to get the stain onto the wood. It will also help a little bit with getting into tight spaces that will be difficult to get the brush into.
There is going to be more waste, but weigh that against your time. I would recommend using the sprayer, and brushing behind it to even out the application in the corners and tricky spots...you'll see once you get started. The brushing part will actually go fast. Get a very large Chinese or Natural bristle for the oil based stain.
The painters mitts work OK on smooth surfaces, but you will get wood splinters, and you will probably wear out several of them on that rough surface. They are also uncooperative in the corners.
You will probably find it best to use a fairly thick nap roller for the deck surface. (The roller might help with the open areas of the railing too.) I've never been a big fan of the pads....but I'm sure you could get one to mostly work. The problem will be getting deeper into the voids between the boards. That is also going to pick up a lot of wood pieces and debris....plan on throwing it away when you are finished. You will probably find it a lot easier to work out of a 5 gallon bucket with a grid.....just in case you were planning on using a roller pan.

I have been out of the industry for a long time, but we used to cringe at people using the Behr, Olympic, or Thompson products....but I know they are much better now. Sikkens used to be about the best, but it was a two coat system. Superdeck was good (now owned by Sherwin Williams), and Cabots was another very good product.... (at least it was in the top two or three about 20 years ago!) If it's getting a good rating now, I can't argue with that.
Basically, none of the clear coats are going to perform as well as something with tint in it....the more the better. The problem is most people like to see the grain in the wood...not something that looks like paint. Since you have pressure treated wood, I would not worry as much about the longevity...but keep that in mind. Also, the wood is likely going to darken quite a bit when you start putting new stain on it. Try a test sample in an inconspicuous spot to see what it does.

Good luck!