Cost for New Trex Deck

Old 09-08-20, 09:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost for New Trex Deck

Not a DIY question...

What's a decent ballpark price (all in, labor and materials) for 10x14 Trex deck, 3.5 feet above the ground with one set of steps and simple railings? Currently have a small 10x5 wood deck which would have to be completely ripped out.

There's a patio which extends from the edge of the existing deck (5 feet off the house) and extends to 14 feet off the house where the deck will end. The deck would be built on top of the patio. This is in an HOA in New Jersey so options are limited.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-20, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
We hesitate to discuss prices as they are area dependent and can vary widely.
We recommend calling and getting three estimates from local tradesman.

Old 09-08-20, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I will only offer a price because I just finished a Trex Transcend deck with Trex Transcend railing... it was 4x8 and had 4 steps. My cost for the Trex materials alone was $2800, from Home Depot. That does not include any markup. The treated lumber for the deck was around $400.

so a 32 sq ft deck ended up being $100 per sq ft in materials alone. I was working for a little old lady and tried to treat her right, but labor was still $2000. So labor and materials... 32 sq ft... $5200 = $162.50 per sq ft. And that was a fair price. I dont know anyone who would do it for less, or with no markup.

This deck was also free standing (movable) and has no footings. You probably could not do that most places.

Some people think a composite deck is the only kind of deck anyone should ever build. They do look nice and are largely maintenance free... but the fact is that you could probably build 3 or 4 wood decks for that price, and not everyone can afford the up front cost of composite.

Old 09-08-20, 12:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow. I didn't realize composite was so expensive. The HOA was quoting $20K.

Old 09-08-20, 03:02 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
but the fact is that you could probably build 3 or 4 wood decks for that price, and not everyone can afford the up front cost of composite.
The cost of a composite deck is limited to the cost of the decking material only, the structural portion of the deck is exactly the same.

I've installed decks in the last 4 homes and found the basic cost (excluding railings) to be around 25% to 30% more, never in the 300-400% range, then you look at the long term cost and composites are actually cheaper.

https://www.decks.com/how-to/1748/composite-vs-wood

https://duralifedecking.com/news/art...mposite-decks/

Old 09-08-20, 03:02 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
That makes one wonder how anyone can afford to construct a new house at this time. 4x8 sheet of 7/16 osb is currently priced at 22.96 in my area.

Old 09-08-20, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
20K sounds about right.

The costs given by decks.com (of $30-45 per sq ft) have almost no basis in reality unless they are for a deck with a lot of flooring and no railing. $30 per sq ft labor is also laughable. As mentioned, the composite materials for the deck pictured above was $2800. (That's 87.50 per sq ft.) Not including framing. Should have been even more if I would have added a percentage for overhead.

And the average home buyer stays in a house for 13 yrs.

As decks.com states: "The argument of wood or composite deck all comes down to preference in the end. If you just absolutely love the rich, natural look of real wood and the time and money for maintenance doesn’t bother you, then perhaps natural wood is for you. But, if you want a deck that’s low maintenance and can last nearly twice as long as a natural deck, then maybe you fall in the composite camp. The choice is up to you!"