Cutting curves in thick stair boards

Old 09-09-20, 09:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting curves in thick stair boards

I have to replace some rotten boards in a stair landing. Boards are 3"x12" and the outer part of the landing frame is curved I-Beam. I'll need to curve the portion of the boards to match the curve of the frame.

I replaced the worst board recently and used my jigsaw with a longer blade. That worked alright but the blade is so thin it wants to flare out and doesn't cut an even vertical cut.

What other type of saw can I use to achieve these curves? I have to make the cuts onsite so it has to be something portable.

Last edited by beedoola; 09-09-20 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-20, 10:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
Sawing and sanding if needed is one option. Doing the cut with a band saw would be better than a jigsaw and could make a vertical cut without the blade flaring out. But if using the jigsaw you can follow up with a rasp or belt sander to square the cut and fine tune the fit. You could also use a reciprocating saw who's blades are much stockier than jigsaw blades and might remain straighter during the cut.

Old 09-09-20, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
What Pilot Dane said is true. If you are going to use a jigsaw, i would recommend one of the Bosch Progressor blades. They are scary sharp and as long as they stay sharp, they will cut gentle curves quite well. Just be sure you let the blade do the work and don't push it into the wood too hard or fast.