Under-deck Swing

Old 09-21-20, 04:45 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Under-deck Swing

Hi,

I am planing install an under deck swing. The blue circled locations are where the anchors are expected to be hooked on. I would like the swing can withstand 350 pounds. So is there any concern that I should not install the swing at this location? or I should use the horizontal beam which supported by the white posts? I would like to install the swing to the beams I circled as it give me about 8-9 inch more height and better clearance.

Also, any type of screw to use will best suit this application?

Photos include how the deck is connected/secured to the house, and the anchor style I plan to use.

Thank you.

From inside of the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-20, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
I think that is a pretty good location especially with the hardware you pictured. Spreading the load out over four mounting bolts cuts the load more than in half versus using two eye bolts.

Old 09-22-20, 05:46 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
If the swing is used frequently by a heavy person, I think you will regret having the swing. The swaying motion will loosen the connections of the deck framing and make the deck unstable.

Old 09-22-20, 05:56 AM
Y
The swing will be mostly used by the kids. I would say under 150lbs most of the time.

Old 09-22-20, 06:00 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
I would have no concern installing it there, loads are minimal and location is nice and close to main beam.

The only think I would consider is installing large eye bolts horizontal through the rim joists vs vertically screws, much stronger especially with time!

Old 09-22-20, 10:36 AM
Y
Thank you for all the replies.

I have marked the est. locations in red circles for the wood bolt to secure the fixture to hang the swing. I would think the inner board is better as it is connected directly to the vertical rims.

I just found out that a few rims are slightly tilted close to one end of the deck, and one has the most angle I have marked in blue. So is this a concern to install the swing? Not sure if you could see if from the photos.

Thanks.

Old 09-22-20, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
Install them on the rim joist... Which is the inner one... The one your joists butt up to. Use 3" ledgerloks. If you opt to use hot dipped galvanized lags, I'd recommend you use 3/8" x 3" and drill 1/4" pilot holes for them.