Peel and Stick questions.

Old 09-22-20, 10:07 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peel and Stick questions.

In the process of tearing down and rebuilding my pergola patio and replacing all the fascia board. I am sorting through the different variations of deck tape or ice/water shield to use:
  1. On the pergola itself (joists, lats)
  2. Between the roof tar paper and roofing deck (before the fascia and metal trim get re-installed)
  3. the 4x4 posts going into the ground (concrete).
I know the needs are similar but the products do differ based on purpose/design. So which ones would you recommend for #1, 2 & 3?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-20, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 623 Votes on 576 Posts
Normally those products are not used on a pergola. Most of those products are to stop water from ice damming which doesn't happen with unheated roofs like a pergola. Can you post some pictures of what you are doing?

Old 09-23-20, 10:12 PM
F
I am located in SoCal so we don't see a lot of rain, but water has indeed made its mark on the old pergola.

The way it was explained to me is that I would want to place the ice and water shield between the roof deck and the tar paper, but I am not sure if it should wrap underneath the deck or not? Then slide the drip edge over the tar paper and use sealant, especially where the drip edge gets screwed (the screws will tear the ice/water shield) in place (can no longer nail from the top in this scenario). The gutter will slide underneath the drip edge metal over the fascia and screwed in place. The 4x6 beams will then be hung underneath the gutter.

Does this sound about right?

A couple of pics:

This is what we started with. It will be rebuilt in the same manner.

Old 09-25-20, 10:12 AM
F
I should note, we are not replacing the shingles (3yr old) and just need to put everything back together but with an added focus on waterproofing and sealing.

Old 09-25-20, 11:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would treat the pergola like attaching a deck to a house. I would install galvanized flashing back up under the shingles and down over the fascia. A ice & water tape would be a good idea along the top edge of the flashing but since that area is under the shingles it would require removing at lease a couple rows of shingles. Then the end board (ledger?) of your pergola can be bolted/screwed to the house through the flashing. Self sealing tape between the flashing and pergola would be good to seal around the screw penetrations.

Old 09-27-20, 07:17 PM
F
if I cannot remove the shingles, yet want to add additional (the tar paper is still there) waterproofing - what can I use here? Just plain old Henry's or a sealant like M1 (https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...RoCxOEQAvD_BwE) ?

Old 09-28-20, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Sometimes you have to remove shingles to do a job properly.

Old 09-28-20, 06:16 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Maybe it's just me but has the pergola been removed and your rebuilding it?

How are you planning to attach, to the ends of the rafter tails?

If rebuilding, is freestanding an option?