Dog destroyed support post

Old 11-08-20, 03:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dog destroyed support post

My teething puppy chewed through a portion of a wood post supporting the upstairs porch. Measurements show about 75% remaining. I’m not sure how much integrity I’ve lost and if it’s safe to only fix it cosmetically with wood filler. Are there any options to regain some of the support? I believe the only other fix is jacking up the upstairs porch, removing a chunk of the downstairs porch, and replacing it altogether.

Popular Reply

11-08-20, 04:54 PM
Norm201
Received 376 Votes on 341 Posts
The proper fix is replace. But you could sister some 2 x 4's to give it rigidity for the next several years. Toe nail them to the floor and what's left of the post.
I suppose you could also remove the surrounding floor and maybe chisel out some of the concrete and wedge a steel mending plate below the surface and to the sides of the post. patch the concrete and replace floor boards.
All very makeshift but possible.

Old 11-08-20, 04:54 PM
The proper fix is replace. But you could sister some 2 x 4's to give it rigidity for the next several years. Toe nail them to the floor and what's left of the post.
I suppose you could also remove the surrounding floor and maybe chisel out some of the concrete and wedge a steel mending plate below the surface and to the sides of the post. patch the concrete and replace floor boards.
All very makeshift but possible.

aosmiley8706, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 11-08-20, 05:01 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The 2x4 idea was something I'd considered. I was wondering if a wood epoxy product like the Abatron kit would be strong enough instead though. It claims it's at least as strong as wood and can be used for support, but I don't have any experience with it.

Old 11-08-20, 05:10 PM
I also have no experience , But just thinking about it I don;t think it will add anything to the destroyed post unless it becomes an integral part of the post. No doubt the material is good for support but what will the epoxy actually be supporting? You're just going fill in a vertical flat surface. Now if you wanted to take a chance you could notch out a rectangular section of the post and apply a "block" of the epoxy so that the weight of the post sits on the top of the stuff.

aosmiley8706 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: