deck over garage

Old 06-17-01, 10:24 PM
Visiting Guest
we want build a deck over our attached garage. The garage presently has a metal roof that leaks a little at the seams.
I want to correct the leaks and build a deck. recently I saw a program that described a system of a rubber membrane surface, pressure treated subsystem and a redwood or cedar deck. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks, dk in md

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-01, 12:49 PM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
My first thought is the roof is probably not strong enough to support a deck. The roof rafters are sized to handle typical weather for your area like a snow load but not usually the additional weight of a deck, deck furniture and people moving around.

How are you going to support the deck? Are you going to rest the posts on the roof or is the deck going to have its own support system? Are you going to cut holes in the roof and run the supports posts into the structure and rest on supporting members of the building? If so have you thought about how you are going to flash or seal around the posts passing through the roof?

How many sets of stairs are you going to need to get to this deck?

More questions than answers. It can be done because I have seen it numerous times on homes one street back from the beach so they can see the waves over top of the beach front homes.

Old 06-19-01, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response.
First the garage has and existing sheet metal roof (w/ some cracks along seams) and it apparently has been been used as a proch bcs there are existing posts and beams with balusters on it. The garage is built with 2x10's (16" spacers) supporting the roof. The existing posts go thru the roof and are well flashed and sealed (per inspector and roofing contractor). The roof is accessed via a bedroom door and we not planning on stairs from the ground.
The deck I had in mind would be free-floating with removable, non-permanent sections. The TV show I mentioned described a system of a layer of rubber membrane on top of the roof, then pressure-treated frame and cedar or redwood deck. I would like know if there are any ideas or websites that would provide details re: type of rumber membrane, and plans for the deck sections.
Thanks

Old 06-20-01, 05:18 AM
Resqman
Visiting Guest
I would suggest that you search the web to see if the TV show has a website. Often they will provide additional details about the individual episodes on the web.