seeking advice: new deck problem

Old 01-24-21, 05:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
seeking advice: new deck problem

One year ago, we had our balcony deck replaced by a professional deck company. The deck is vinyl on plywood with PT joists. A few months ago, we noticed discoloration on some of the plywood under the deck near the sloped edge. We were worried that the vinyl surface was leaking. The contractor assured us that this was residual moisture from the install and didn't indicate a leak. He said it was just a little mildew because we live on the west coast in a humid climate. Since then, the discoloration has spread significantly, and it looks like water damage. The plywood doesn't necessarily feel wet to the touch, but we are still concerned this might represent a leak. It is largely confined to the plywood at the sloped edge, but there are also spots elsewhere.
Has anyone seen this before? Could it be simply "residual" moisture from installation? What is the best solution, here? The contractor told us just to treat it with a bit of anti-mold solution. Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

Old 01-24-21, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 783 Posts
If we had a clue what the top and edge looked like we might be able to help more. I suspect the contractor is feeding you a line. Residual moisture? Was it pouring rain when the installed it?

Old 01-24-21, 06:05 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 181 Votes on 162 Posts
Looks like more than residual moisture to me.

One way to be sure, is to get a moisture meter and compare the 'wet' spots to the dry spots. A sheet of plywood should have the same moisture reading in both spots based on the moisture in the air and such.

My guess is that the wet spots are actually wet.

Old 01-24-21, 06:13 PM
T
Thanks for your replies. It was raining when it was installed. They had tarped the entire top.
The contractor brought a moisture meter and said the reading on the discoloured spots were the same as on the rest.

Old 01-24-21, 06:20 PM
T
Vinyl top looks good. I've gone over it and the seams carefully and can't find any holes. The vinyl edge hangs over 1.5 inches or so and has a lip to shed water away from siding.

Old 01-25-21, 06:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
We really need to see some photos where the deck meets the house from above and below. We want to see how the deck is attached to the house and how they flashed and did the siding in that area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: