Flagstone driveway paver?

Old 02-26-21, 10:13 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flagstone driveway paver?

Hello
I am redoing my deiveay. Trying to find a good long term solution. I liked the idea of doing natural stone. But keep getting mixed answers. My contractor saying 1.5inch flagstone are too thin and it will crack. I went to 3 different store. All 3 store told me too thin if we used flagstone and prefer to go with concrete blocks. And the same 3 store also told me flagstone is fine if it's 1.5inch since they are stronger than concrete(different rep). Now I'm lost lol. I really like the look of natural stone but definitely don't want them getting cracked. I really thought they would last the longest and looks definitely better. I know it's also more expensive to do.

Old 02-26-21, 11:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would never use 1 1/2" thick concrete pavers for a driveway. The brand pavers I use are 3 1/8" thick and may be used for driveways and walkways. The same manufacturer has other styles but I think the thinnest they approve for driveway use is 2 3/4" thick.

Old 02-26-21, 01:48 PM
S
I'm not talking about concrete paver. I'm talking about using real natural stone flagstone paver. Can't they be 1.5 inch?

Old 02-26-21, 03:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Flagstone is not known for it's strength or durability. It's popular because it's easily split into thin sheets and it's pretty. There is a reason city streets were paved with granite cobbles and not flagstone or slate.

Old 02-26-21, 04:13 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Flagstone is a sedimentary product, very similar to slate, meaning it's made of dried mud.

Not the strongest material and IMO flagstone looks like krap, not the stone just how it's installed with those HUGE gaps!

Old 02-26-21, 04:34 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by soumikcha
My contractor saying 1.5inch flagstone are too thin and it will crack.
Did the contractor say what size flagstone they'd be using?

I've seen driveways paved with 6-foot x 6-foot slate slabs salvaged from sidewalks, and with 6-inch x 6-inch flagstone pieces. I've also set flagstone into a concrete patio, which guarantees that it isn't going anywhere and won't crack under the weight.

Old 02-26-21, 06:58 PM
S
I just wanted the look and quality of natural store.it does not have to be flagstone for say. My contractor said to go with concrete paver of my choice, he doesn't have experience working with natural stone. But I didn't like many of them. If going with natural stone is a bad idea. What can I use that resemble the color and design of natural stone and will last a long time with low maintenance ? I know all over internet it say you can use natural stone but can't really trust the internet. Lol. I also looked around the rich neighborhood and didn't find any driveway with stone like design. I live in Maryland. So not sure the cold and the hot weather have to do something with it? 😭

Old 02-27-21, 12:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
What can I use that resemble the color and design of natural stone and will last a long time with low maintenance ?
-----------Stamped concrete!

Old 02-27-21, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
There are some really attractive, stone or cobble looking concrete pavers. Depending on where you are located granite cobbles or blocks is also an option if you want real. Many stone suppliers also have other styles of real stone that could be used. You just need to be prepared for the price. Concrete pavers or granite cobbles have a uniform size so installation goes relatively quickly. Most other stones are more random in size so installation becomes more art with each stone needing some special attention which can really drive up the cost and even limit your ability to find someone to do the work.

Old 02-27-21, 09:53 AM
S
I looked into stamped concrete. Though they look really good but i dont know if they will look the same after 2-3 years.

Old 02-27-21, 10:01 AM
S
Well, I have been to 5 different store. Have not had any luck so far with proper information and talked to 4 different contractors and also no luck about doing real stone. I will end up doing those concrete pavers with similar style of real stone. The contractor did my remodel of my house. I rather use him then finding a new one. Since sometime its difficult to find a good contractor. Any specific brand you recommend for paver that will last long and have good quality?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: